Reserve fuel

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

scruffygit
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Reserve fuel

Post by scruffygit » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:01 pm

I don't really trust the fuel guage on the MGF as it seems to have a mind of it's own so I'm thinking of carrying a fuel can with a drop of spare "juice" in.
I've got one of the proper ones, green with a spout and a screw cap on top, marked flammable etc.
BUT
Where to store it?
It's a bit too big to fit in the front under the bonnet behind the spare and LillyRoo is a VVC so there's an ABS unit sitting in a the place that looks ideal for a fuel can!
I'm not too sure about keeping it in the boot due to the heat that builds up in there, as I'd rather not turn into a firebomb when out for a pleasent Sunday afternoon jaunt!

Anybody got any ideas or perhaps I'm being a bit over cautious about boiling a can of lead free in the boot?

Ta Scruffy.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Reserve fuel

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:54 pm

The simple answer is to refill it today instead of tomorrow. It does not cost any more.
For many years of travel in UK, Europe and as much in other countries around the world, 1/4 is Empty.
The only failure was about 1969 when returning to UK to visit from Belgrade driving north from Munich with 1/4, it was not enough range for the next petrol station on the Autobahn and I ran out approaching an exit. Luckily it was downhill with a petrol station at the bottom whereby I coasted to the pump.
The only time that I would carry a can is for the motor mower.
Geoff F.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:07 pm

Or zero the trip meter every time you fill up and refill after 200 miles.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:57 am

Ta The trip counter solution sounds good to me. Why didn't I think of that?
What is the approx range on a full tank?

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:35 am

Depends on your driving - my best is 43mpg, worst is 22mpg - http://www.fuelly.com/car/mg/f/1999/talkingcars/131476

Based on 22 mpg you'll do roughly 200 miles on a tank.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Paul Storey
MGF Register Region: East Midlands

Post by Paul Storey » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:27 am

Or (better still) fix or replace the fuel gauge to read accurately . . . mine does.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:59 am

I've not meet a truly acute fuel gauge in any of the over twenty MGR products I've owned.

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:41 pm

Ta for the info.
It's not the guage it's the sender.
It's not been right since investigating an intermittent fuel starvation problem. I fitted a replacement (used) fuel pump and sender during the investigations. Problem ended up being dry joints on the MFRU behind the ECU (dry joints on the relays). The replacement sender proved to be intermittent, so eventually I went back to the original pump and sender. Now I have a situation where the guage reads down to just under half full and then sticks there. So I guess the sender unit float is snagging in the tank. I hate taking the pump out and re-fitting so I'm going to live with it. Quirk of having an 18 year old car I guess.

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:12 am

Too bad you don't want it to be fixed...

Anyway, for completeness sake: the design of the fuel tank could make it a bit tricky to determine the amount still left in the tank. An enthusiastic turn of the car while driving could move an amount of fuel from one part of the tank to the other and provides some additional miles.