Earliest production car on the road?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Phil Jay
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Earliest production car on the road?

Post by Phil Jay » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:37 pm

I have an early MGF and I'm wondering if it is the earliest production car remaining?
The VIN ends in 000256, it was registered in September 1995 and the first keeper was The Rover Group, so it was a factory fleet car. It's Charcol Grey metallic with red interior, which seems a fairly rare colour, as most early cars seem to be green or red. I appreciate there's a number of development, show and press cars still around, which is great, but I just wondered if this might be the earliest production car known to the register? If anyone knows of an earlier production car (apart from 000251 of course) I would love to hear about it.

Many thanks
Phil

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Earliest production car on the road?

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi Phil

I met someone in deepest France earlier in the summer who used to work and MGR and drove the 5th car of the production line, I do believe it was yours.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Dieter K
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Post by Dieter K » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:26 am

I think 000252 is known in the UK, then Phils and then 000257 in Canada.
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:34 pm

000257 lives about 40 minutes south of me. It too is charcoal grey.
Mark

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:17 am

I'll look them up when I open the lap-later and let you know.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:41 am

Phil, as Dieter says 000252 is the oldest car out in the open, so to speak. However it hasn't been taxed since 06/2012 and MoT since 04/2011.

000255 is Sorn'd and no MoT since 04/2013.

The oldest car in the UK is 000276 taxed and MoT'd, so.............

The oldest on the road, as far as I know because I rely upon information to update our records is therefore 000257 in Canada.

I will add, I have no body number information on these exported cars so if anybody over there can look for me please ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Where's the body number located Adrian?

My wife's car is 000309, not a particularly early car, but the second oldest in Canada. Odd thing though, on the V5C the stated model is 'Three Thousand Five'.

That's quite common on early cars, many TF's have Rover MGF on it's body plate.

You will find, thanks for looking, it's valuable info, the body plate either in the boot, adjacent to the aerial on a plate on the bulkhead. Lift the rubber gasket about 20 cm in from the aerial, pull forward the carpet between the two fixing studs and you'll see it.

However on early cars, somewhere before 004330 the plate sits on the floor British passenger side. You will have to lift the carpet, sorry :oops:

Any info you can send is greatfully received, always, thank you :thumbsu:

Adrian
Mark

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:02 pm

Therefore Phil's car, 256, is the earliest known production car on the road in the UK?

I wonder where 252 is? It would be good to track it down...

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi Rob, not according to the DVLA, that one is showing SORN and no MoT since 10/2011, unless the DVLA is wrong ! If this is wrong Phil, please confirm via pm your number plate and I'll look again.

I have the registration and details but that is showing no tax since June 2012 and no MoT since 04/2011

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:08 pm

That's quite common on early cars, many TF's have Rover MGF on it's body plate.

You will find, thanks for looking, it's valuable info, the body plate either in the boot, adjacent to the aerial on a plate on the bulkhead. Lift the rubber gasket about 20 cm in from the aerial, pull forward the carpet between the two fixing studs and you'll see it.

However on early cars, somewhere before 004330 the plate sits on the floor British passenger side. You will have to lift the carpet, sorry :oops:

Any info you can send is greatfully received, always, thank you :thumbsu:

Adrian

Phil Jay

Post by Phil Jay » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi Guy's, many thanks for all your replies and feedback. Apologies for the late response as we moved house last week and I seem to have got a bit distracted!!

Adrian, you are quite right, 000256 isn't on the road as yet - though should have been by now, but I got distracted saving a Trophy 160 that seemed destined for the scrap man! Trophy is nearly ready to go back on the road, so hopefully 000256 won't be too far behind. It was taken off the road around 3 years ago when the clutch shaft seized and gear changes became non-existent!

Great to hear that 000252 is still around! Is it known to any register members? I also sold a couple of early cars recently - 000258 & 000266 - to forum members, so I hope they're still around too!

000256 is going to need a full resto as the previous owner stored it outside for some time and it deteriorated quite a bit. It will probably take a while and quite a lot of money, but I'll get it done over time - maybe in time for MGF 25???? :D

Phil

mg-rob
Regional Rep

Post by mg-rob » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:22 am

Hi All!

266 is still around and has recently had the underneath sandblasted to reveal a very solid floor, with just one area at the back of the car that needed minor repair. The sills have also been taken back to bare metal with just the back 12 inches or so needing repair. Original engine has been rebuilt and the sub frame is away being powder coated. All being well another 6 weeks and it may have an MOT and then we can look at having the body repainted.
Many thanks for letting us have the car Phil!

Rob & Jane.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:06 pm

It's good to know our info is correct.

252 has not been taxed since June 2012 and there's nothing at all available on known registration plates for 253 and 254, maybe they're scrapped or exported.

So Phil, you need to get 256 on the road even if it's for MGF25 !

Sergi Bmw

Post by Sergi Bmw » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:46 am

What is the special thing of owning a early registered car?? Why is it better than a later car in better condition?

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:25 pm

Sergi Bmw wrote:What is the special thing of owning a early registered car?? Why is it better than a later car in better condition?
Because the cost of cars here is so cheap, they would be scrapped in the blink of an eye so these people are saving our car's heritage, well done to them all.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Very early cars will, just by virtue of being very early, likely to have a greater value in years to come than other cars, in the same condition, that were made in the middle of production. Similarly, "last of the line" cars also tend to generate a premium.

Probably all just due to pure sentimentality ;)

janiepb
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF's

Post by janiepb » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:37 pm

In my opinion there is nothing to say that the earlier cars are any "better", however keeping the heritage of what was at that time a newly developed MG sports car alive surely must be a worthwhile cause? To some of us it is not about their monetary worth but their significance to the MG marque.
Loud & Proud ... TT Exhaust, oh, and don't forget Zip :D

Phil Jay

Post by Phil Jay » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi Sergi,

In my humble opinion, the early cars serve as a reminder to what a great job Rover's Longbridge engineers did to create a sports car with great handling, ride quality and performance on a shoe string budget. They didn't have the huge development budget Mazda were able to throw at the MX5, or BMW at the Z3, yet they came up with a car that in many peoples eyes - mine included - was better than either.

Throughout its production life, early development issues were resolved and the car undoubtedly improved in many ways in its later years. But you know, there's still a special feeling driving an early car on 15" wheels, with that fabulous compliant ride quality and sharp handling. Sure its basic, but its brilliant fun to drive.

And as a final thought, if the early MGF's hadn't been so brilliant, the later cars may never have been built. Why? Because Rover's then owner, BMW wanted to kill off the MGF because they feared the competition it would pose to their Z3.
So, they set a little test. Around a certain little race track in Germany. You may know of it because it begins with an 'N'. A Z3 against an MGF. The full might of the Bavarian Motor Works against the plucky little Brit. No contest. The MGF wiped the floor with the BMW. Their engineers apparently amazed at just how comprehensively the MGF spanked the Z3 in its own back yard! And that's why the MGF was never allowed to be sold into the USA, the worlds biggest sports car market! If it had, the Rover story may have been very different.

Sergi Bmw

Post by Sergi Bmw » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:39 pm

adrianclifford wrote:
Sergi Bmw wrote:What is the special thing of owning a early registered car?? Why is it better than a later car in better condition?
Because the cost of cars here is so cheap, they would be scrapped in the blink of an eye so these people are saving our car's heritage, well done to them all.
True, but still I don't see the point in keeping out of the scrap yard an early one instead of a later one... :?

Don't get me wrong I just bought a 2001 MG F to keep it out from the scrap man for very little money but I guess having an early one for some one mean something special?

For me ? a Fun car is a Fun car no matter when it was build :lol:

KDB
Model of Car: MGF MkI

Post by KDB » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi, Greetings from Central Europe, the Czech Republic, I am a big fan of MG, specifically F :-).
I got my first MGF since February 2009 - MKI 1999, then added another 160 Trophy - RHD (I brought her from Birmigham) MKI 1999 (as a future youngtimers) and 1996 VVC (for parts).
Recently, I look over the early MGF .....
What do you think of MG in this ad - the first registration 3/1995 mistake ??
I wrote to him, but did not answer ...

http://www.mobile.de/cz/Osobn%C3%AD-v%C ... 40204.html

Regards
Karel