Winter tyres

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Fourbears
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Winter tyres

Post by Fourbears » Thu May 11, 2017 10:48 am

I am considering buying a set of winter tyres for my TF as I will be using it all year. Has anyone got experience of using winter tyres and, if so, what brand is best (subjective I know). I know we have not got to summer yet but now is the best time to get a set! Plus they do make a difference when it is cold despite what some may think!

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Winter tyres

Post by colintf » Thu May 11, 2017 11:05 am

I know Steffi uses Toyo Winter Tyres and they are great!

I have Toyo Winter Tyres on the ZT and the difference below 7degC and in the wet or snow is amazing. 17,000 miles and still 4mm of tread left on them.

many over in Germany etc have to have them (practically a legal requirement etc) so people like Mykel etc will be able to give a second opinion!

:)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Thu May 11, 2017 12:07 pm

It is not just Germany, it is all over the continent people use winter tyres. Allthough they are not legally required in our country, most people who use their car on a daily base have winter tyres. So do I on my TF (the F is just for pleasure and stays in during the cold period).

I'm running on Continentals which aren't too bad but I'm aware other tyres are doing much better. As temperatures rise above 10 degrees they tend to loose grip more easily.
Be aware winter tyres make more noise compared to summertime tyre profiles. (using 15" 185 mm wide size tyres)
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

Fourbears
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by Fourbears » Fri May 12, 2017 9:56 am

Sorry I didn't make myself quite clear. I am aware of the benefits of winter tyres as our fleet at work uses them. You do not need snow to have the benefit as they perform as well or better than summer tyres between 7 and 15 C. Below 7C it is a no brainer as they just grip and disperse water far better - they are not just for snow. What I wanted to know was if anyone uses them on their F/TF and what tyres they use. Do I use the same size front and rear? Maybe 185's?