Do people HATE MGFs?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Do people HATE MGFs?

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Just wondering.

Current edition of EVO magazine has an editorial by the mag's editor describing the MGF as an appalling car. (Finger now hovering over "Cancel subscription" button ;))

When Practical Performance Car ran an article on buying and modifying MGF/TFs, the letters sections were full of hate-rants by people who demanded that this rubbish car should never be featured again. To the editorial team's credit, they ran a full, 2-page "Readers Projects" feature on Project Shed.

Go figure. But I am puzzled by the level of animosity towards our very capable (and very loveable) MGs.

Or am I wearing my heart on my sleeve?

Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Re: Do people HATE MGFs?

Post by Barbour » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:10 pm

I don't know really, overhere I usually get positive reactions to my F.

I know English cars have a reputation of bad build quality and reliability issues (only second to Italian made cars) and I honestly can't say they haven't earned that reputation.

But the F is a lovely car to drive, I'm no Tiff Needell, so maybe I'm just easy.
Last edited by Barbour on Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

Bigfootmgf
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:37 pm

I don't understand why either but most magazines don't even mention the mgf. Evo mag probably doesn't like it because its not powerful or flash. Most people rubbish them because of hgf of because they don't want to be seen saying they like them.
We all know that there great little cars and that's what matters.
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:44 pm

They're just jealous...
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 pm

Clarkson syndrome. Yes I think there is section of car enthusiasts, petrol heads, whatever you want to call them that do irratiionally dislike MG. Also in my opionion there are many of those same car enthusiasts think the sun shines out of the MX5 tailpipes. I like the MX5 models, they are in the same spirit as MG (and many other 'small' sportscars), but I don't get why some media sites such as Pistonheads are a bit like me when Lucy Verasamy is doing the weather forecast...totally smitten. I also tink that MR2's go a little under the radar for many whether it's good or bad opinion.
I think many people, including many owners of F/TF dont get the full 'hit' of the mid engine layout, OK so top down is fun and smiley, but the handling and crucially the feedback the models give just enhances the enjoyment beyond most others. I get to drive quite a range of cars from expensive so called super cars, most BMW models of the last ten years, and other German 'stuff' et al. In all the cars I have driven only one stood out head and shoulders above everything else, the Jaguar F type. Why are they scarce in the UK, really does beat me. I can only conclude in a similiar way to MGF/TF's that many car enthusiasts cannot appreciate and respond to the qualities that make for a pure driving enjoyment.

Dallas
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

Post by Dallas » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:21 pm

I can see why these cars get so much bad press, its the same regarding the Rover 75 and MG ZT. These early MG's are beautifully designed regarding body shape, but overall the car design and build quality is shockingly bad.

The worst design aspect of the F/TF is the rear engine bay access, what silly person designed the engine access panel that requires 12 bolts, plus carpet and sound proofing removal? :thumbsd: If only MG designed the rear engine section with a lift up hinged lid (bonnet), with a little more room would have made the car so much better, most garage mechanics refuse to work on these cars due to such poor access. :roll:

We cant forget HGF on the K-Series, another bad design which really should have been addressed long before Rover went under, and if that is not enough, the F/TF's have major rust issues... Is it safe to say most of the general public and probably many former owners don't have anything nice to say about these cars, why would they?

These cars are beautiful to look at, and great fun to drive, but that is only when they have had lots of money spent to keep them working... :lol:

I still love mine, its a bit like Marmite isn't it really? :D
Last edited by Dallas on Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG
Born on 8th January 2002 @ 09:02:26
38th MG TF in BRG Pearlescent (code: HFF) to be made out of 3,353 BRG Pearlescent TFs
123rd MG TF 135 to be made out of 19,475
145th MG TF to run off the production line out of 41,656

ErikB
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:16 pm

I think the negative public opinion isn't getting any better with MGFs being sold for £500 and less AND being used and maintained (or not) like a cheap car that you use for a couple of months and throw away if all fuel is burned.
I don't think I would be enthusiastic if I wasn't into MG's and I would get into a cheap and rusty barrel.
We need to go through a dip and wait for the turnover to happen.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:33 pm

To be honest I find it quite puzzling. At the time of launch, all the magazines were incredibly upbeat about them. This persisted for quite some time. The TF was also extremely well received at the time, and performed well in comparison tests and did well in the safety tests too. The Italian's voted it "the most beautiful roadster". The Germans felt it steered much better than the contemporary Audi TT.

Weird.

Ultimately, I don't really care - I know how good my cars are, and how much I love them. But I am bemused by what appears to be blind prejudice. May be it is a general "small sports car" thing - even the MX-5 gets a rum ride from some just because you can afford to buy one new...

Bigfootmgf
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:27 pm

What I do think is interesting is when I speak to people who don't know much about them but like the look of them. I ask them what do you think its worth? (now this is my car I am talking about with over 100,000 on the clock) and they always start by saying £6-7000 and I always respond I wish!
So is it us that are giving them away for peanuts, the press just saying they are rubbish because every other member of the press says the same! or is it just bad reputation because of HGF and the fact that MG Rover went out of business and they think you can't get parts anymore?
The rust issue is the same for any car of this sort of age! I wish I had known that I would still have the car now as I would of rust treated the car back then!
Anyway there all wrong for not trying the car out and making up there own minds on what a great little car they are!
Getting into the engine bay shouldn't put a garage off as it doesn't take that long and you don't have to access it every service.
Last edited by Bigfootmgf on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:10 am

If you think an MGF is bad for engine bay access, you haven't tried a Porsche Boxster... ;)

Paul, I think it is probably all of those things: the company going out of business means that it is a cheap shot for Journalists who don't need to worry about advertising revenues from non-viable car company; the marketing teams of active vehicle manufacturers are very likely to re-direct their funds to more "friendly" magazines - and one has to remember that magazine publishing is a business first and foremost - and a very competitive and challenging one at that...

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:13 am

For everyone else? Probably just uninformed prejudice methinks. The British dislike and disregard for anything successful perhaps (MGF and TF were fantastic sales successes in period - that's why there's still so many around), added to by the contempt towards abject failure...

Here's another question: when was the last time you saw a Rover? They're disappearing fast... :(

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Yes, Rovers are disappearing fast, sadly, and the Rover 45 I saw today was indicative of that... on a transporter of accident damaged vehicles. Their are some good Rovers currently on the market for not too much, a Rover 45 V6 Connisseur which apparently has been a show car, 72k miles 148bhp for £1450, or nice looking Rover 420 twin cam for £875. For anybody that still cherishes MG Rover and the models from the group previous incarnations, it's sad to see apparent general low esteem they are now held in. If only Honda had got a controlling stake back in the day...just a thought.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:30 pm

It's not just the F/TF, it's everything MG/Rover.

I have just changed my daily from MGZS180 (my second) to an Alfa 159. Despite the former being a 2.5 V6 with 174 BHP and the latter a 3.2 V6 with 260 BHP and 4x4 the MG was quicker in a straight line and around the windy stuff, how the alfisti laugh when I say where I came from.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Barbour
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Post by Barbour » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:00 am

Turn it around, ask yourself what makes certain Japanese/Asian and German brands so popular. The answer is quite simple really, it is the (perceived) quality and reliability.

That allows the Germans to ask a premium price for their "premium" cars, and if you want cheap reliability just get a Japanese or Korean car. That's the general image.

It really bothers me to see that cleverly engineered MGF'S are getting scrapped, that the K engine never got the chance to reach it's full potential. So many bad decisions because the focus wasn't on quality, not enough testing, it's just saddening.

I've driven Porsche Boxsters, BMW Z3, MX5, you name it. They are all good, the Porsche even made me smile but it's just too expensive. But If it comes to driveability the MGF is the biggest fun ever, there's a good reason it was successful and a moneymaker.

So, first thing is to gain trust and focus, as a constructor, build a product you would want for yourself, it needs to be well built and reliable. I hope the new MG can pull that off, and build that EV sportscar eventually
Last edited by Barbour on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Another thing I've noticed, far more people let you out when you're in an Alfa than do if you're in a MG :|
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:32 pm

talkingcars wrote:It's not just the F/TF, it's everything MG/Rover
That’s true

A local “we buy any car” company uses Robers for their advertising vehicles (rather than the usual Eastern European Dacia- but my jaw dropped when I saw this car (likely destined for the crusher when its mot expires):
A9697EB5-854E-455D-A460-422DA30781FD.jpeg
DA35B1B8-5C43-43CE-8B9E-17E4A11EF6CE.jpeg
Apart from one flat tyre, it’s mint!

I’d buy it except I already have far too many cars :(

Green Squirrel
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:00 pm

Rob why worry - we enjoy them and we (Karin and I) have just completed a 2146 mile MGF trip London to the High Alps and then following the Rhine back to Holland - 15 *F*s and *TF*s and not a single breakdown.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:24 pm

I'm not really, just confused Ted?

Sounds like a fantastic trip - need to get N7 back in order and hopefully will have time for future MG trips! :D :thumbsu:

MrNatural
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Well I love mine and it's worth every penny I have spent on it ;)
I have had the pleasure of driving many different car's in my time, but none have brought a smile to my face like the Trophy. Many friends have come my way too through owning an MG, something that the journalists never consider.
Attachments
IMG-20180610-WA0004.jpg

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:55 pm

There is no doubt about the fact that MG-Rover and British Leyland before them were the architects of their own demise due to poor working practices, bad management, union disputes, poor quality control and underfunding. Disasters such as the Allegro and the Marina/Ital did wonders for their reputation. The MG-Rover fiasco (and fiasco was what it was) signalled the end of the British car industry at a time when Nissan, Honda and Toyota were investing in the UK and more importantly adopting better working practices with good quality control. The MGF/TF problem with HGF should have been addressed at an early stage, but cost cutting was more the norm and so the factory never invested in solving it, or for that matter creating more powerful models. A head in the sand attitude that ended up with the plant being sold for a quid.

Anyone ever drive a Rover 827? Absolutely bomb proof Honda engine. The rest of the car, dog.

Don't get me wrong, I love my MGF. I've had it over 10 years now and won't part with it, but it's a dinosaur. Once all the ratty ones out there have gone to the scrappy, those of us that have kept & cherished their cars will begin to reap the value of their investment. Let us hope that comes round soon. In the meantime, drive it, enjoy it, polish it, praise it. Sod the journos they don't know what they're missing.