MGF AP Four Pot Brake upgrade on a MK2 F Steptronic

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Stuart Dunn
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135 Sprint

MGF AP Four Pot Brake upgrade on a MK2 F Steptronic

Post by Stuart Dunn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi All,

Just come of the phone to a friend of mine, who has recently had his front brakes upgraded to AP 4 Pot's, so therefore has fitted the original trophy wheels.

However he tells me that to get the wheels to fit, he's had to have wheel spacers fitted to accomodate the brakes? 10mm in total.

I know of the clearance issue, hence why he chose the larger trophy wheel, but never knew about the issue of having to space the wheels.

Anyone else heard of anything? Seems a little odd to me.

Kameleon
MGF Register Region: South East

Re: MGF AP Four Pot Brake upgrade on a MK2 F Steptronic

Post by Kameleon » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:56 pm

Trophy alloys, the 11 spoke ones that I think were made by technomagneso wouldn't have needed spacers. In fact the only 16s that do as far as I know are the 5 square spokes.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Something is not right there, Trophy wheels clear the AP calipers without spacers.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Perhaps they're not Trophy wheels then?

Stuart Dunn
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135 Sprint

Post by Stuart Dunn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:08 pm

I have to agree, something really isn't right.
I've asked him to bring the car round when the weather clears up for a look.
I have seen the car before and they are genuine trophy wheels, and have MG Rover in the spoke casting is what I'm told.

Something can't be right with the disc/caliper fitment, but can't think what.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Did you buy the wheels from B&G? I seem to recall someone having bought Trophy wheels from them to discover that the wheels they supplied had an incorrect offset!
Kameleon wrote:Trophy alloys, the 11 spoke ones that I think were made by technomagneso wouldn't have needed spacers. In fact the only 16s that do as far as I know are the 5 square spokes.
Not quite. Only Trophy 11-spoke, TF 11-spoke and TF ULW 16" wheels will fit over AP racing 304mm 4-pot calipers without modification.

The multispoke design will fit, but requires spacing. I suspect that the same is also true of the Square-spoke design. The Abingdon/Cup alloys require fairly heroic spacers and/or some careful trimming of the calipers themselves to fit.

Kameleon

Post by Kameleon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant that when it comes to direct fit 16s from the MG factory, all will fit the APs with the exception of the square spoke that will need spacing. 15s I'm not sure as I've never looked but imagine you would need some chop-shop esq spacers there.

I too recall the B&G supplied alloys being the wrong offset, perhaps they've sold them on again.