2 similar VVC's

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
bigmac
MGF Register Region: South Coast

2 similar VVC's

Post by bigmac » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:57 pm

in another thread--new member wight mgf showed our 2 similar cars--but with some technical differences i need help resolving.

mine is a 2000 ( w plate ) VVC--it has VVC on top of the engine----and the exhaust has the 180 degree bend inlet pipe into the silencer.

wight MGF's car is a 51 plate VVC---but without the VVC on top of the engine. the exhaust inlet pipe has the 90 degree bend.

both cars have a 150 mph speedo. is the above info the norm?

heres a pic
Attachments
2013-10-23 12.38.40.jpg

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: 2 similar VVC's

Post by colintf » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Are the rev counters the same? 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

mgfsoldier
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by mgfsoldier » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:50 am

Do you both have a VVC system on the actual engine? Are both manifolds plastic or is the newer one metal?

2 lovely Anthracite cars by the way.

chris90
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 160 80th annivers

Post by chris90 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:44 am

Yes that's normal, Y reg/51 plate cars switched to mems 3, tf exhaust fittment and no vvc on the inlet plenum (much like the tf160 but without the performance increase)

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Yes, as Chris rightly says, these two cars are either side of the EU3 emissions reg that came into force in Jan 2001. Both are MEMS 3, but the earlier car has more in common with the Mk1 MGF - particularly with respect to the inlet and exhaust design.

Both are standard vehicles. Might be nice to do an article on them both, showing what is the same and what is different? :)

bigmac

Post by bigmac » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:41 pm

soldier asks:
Do you both have a VVC system on the actual engine?

good question---i wouldnt have a clue----what is the VVC system--what does it look like--what does it do ?

chrisrigby
Model of Car: MGF Abingdon LE VVC

Post by chrisrigby » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Simple one really the main cam belt should most definitely be there :lol: then if you've got a vvc head fitted then there will also be another mounted on the opposite side and no distributer cap. Two black covers at each ends of the head. Believe me its a shock when you dont find one when your expecting to find one !!

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:46 pm

The VVC system provides for variable valve timing dependant on engine speed - it' provides more power at higher revs without detracting from low end torque at lower engine speeds.

bigmac

Post by bigmac » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:01 pm

so--in simple--easy to understand terms---how does the system work--?---is the inlet timing advanced mechanically at a certain rev point ?----rather like the old way of advancing the distributor ?--which was purley making the spark fire earlier before TDC.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:11 pm

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Yes, as Chris rightly says, these two cars are either side of the EU3 emissions reg that came into force in Jan 2001. Both are MEMS 3, but the earlier car has more in common with the Mk1 MGF - particularly with respect to the inlet and exhaust design.
Are you sure both are MEMS3, I thought to run MEMS3 you needed the extra connection that is found on the later plain inlet manifolds but not on the earlier named inlet manifold.

Also the later exhaust is different to allow the addition of a post cat lambda probe which MEMS3 likes to see.

The earlier car maybe a late registered mk1, does it have an analogue or digital milometer or a colour coded screen surround.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Andy the tyre man
MGF Register Region: North Wales
Model of Car: Mgf 1.8i + Jag owner

Post by Andy the tyre man » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Watch this.....

Vvc explained.

http://youtu.be/P2sYBZ4uyy4
WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED!!

bigmac

Post by bigmac » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:36 pm

many thanx for those replies. please bear in mind my 1st car was a ford 100E--with a side valve engine. that kinda dates me.

Misterb_57
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2001 MY MGF

Post by Misterb_57 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:35 am

Yes that's normal, Y reg/51 plate cars switched to mems 3, tf exhaust fittment and no vvc on the inlet plenum (much like the tf160 but without the performance increase)
Interestingly our 2001 VVC is mems3 & has VVC on the plenum!

I guess MGR used them until they ran out. It probably saved them 50p per item not having it cast in. :thumbsd:

Chris.
'Trouble and Strife' - and it belongs to the wife...

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:50 pm

I suspect that you're absolutely right Chris! :lol:

Shame they deleted the VVC logo - but I guess it meant they could use the same part on the 135! :lol: