What am I letting myself into? (Project car)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: What am I letting myself into? (Project car)

Post by sniperpenguin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:05 pm

No windy gun here - one of the TWO things Im sorely missing (Torque wrench being the other) :(

ANd thanks for the words of encouragement... These things are not quick to put together and to know its still being read makes it worthwhile....

Kinda makes up for me being a rubbish Rep :lol:
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:59 am

Just catching up with this - great work Nigel! :thumbsu:

What's the latest - is the head back on the Panda - and does she live? :D

sniperpenguin

Post by sniperpenguin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Well, people....... below (as readers of the other thread may know) I got quite a bit done today.

First all - a note to Oil Filter manufacturers...... you may fool oil filter wrenches, but we are an ingenious people, us welsh ;)

Managed to blag (free!) a Sump plug washer from a Motor factors, but I'm getting surprised how few parts for the K-Series are being stocked at places now :( - This must mean that these cars are becoming "classics" and therefore I should look forward to paying £37.50 for the same washer next time from "Joe Bloggs & Sons classic car parts" ;)

So, topped her up with Oil, and after reconnecting the pipes and filling the coolant system with just water(didnt want to waste coolant if it all went wrong!) I bled the coolant system and put in the plugs + fresh leads.

.......... I've never taken so long to turn a key in my life! I knew that it was all put together, but so much had been changed...... so much to miss.... so after I hand turned the engine, I hooked up the jump leads from my TF and synced the fobs (so far, so good).

*SERIOUSLY* - I was expected this to stutter, give me a shudder and hoped that whatever problem presented itself made an easy next step. Instead, I got this (click the image for a video)...

To say Im happy, is well.......... a little understated. :D The war is not over by a long shot.... An MOT is still required (and will no doubt present some more scares) but for me.... this is a HUGE step in the right direction.... Thanks for taking it with me :)
Last edited by sniperpenguin on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:26 pm

GREAT, NIGEL! Congrats, and well done :thumbsu:

If you managed to get that VVC engine running again, sorting the rest for the MoT will be a doddle for you. And you have all Sunday left!

<clarkson>A magnificent, magnificent job done here.</clarkson>

I'll have a drink in your honour RIGHT NOW!
Mykel
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 am

Great stuff! Panda lives! :thumbsu:

MaddAussie
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF160

Post by MaddAussie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:43 am

Awesome stuff have yourself a cold one
TF160 - Bilstiens, Mike Satur 4-2-1, Sports Cat, Quad Daytona, Z and F Tuning Phase 2 Remap showing 177Bhp @ Janspeed RR day and a Big Grin :D (oh and a glass rear screen and bits of shiny stuff) 85th suspension bits to fit!

sniperpenguin

Post by sniperpenguin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:23 pm

MaddAussie wrote:Awesome stuff have yourself a cold one
One of the rare occasions for a cool, crisp corona I think ;)

Next step is a battery, figure out with the engine fan isnt coming on, and try to draw up the courage to close the bonnet again after taking 3wks to open it! :lol:

Pinson1971
MGF Register Region: North Wales
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i VVC 1996

Post by Pinson1971 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 pm

sniperpenguin wrote:No windy gun here - one of the TWO things Im sorely missing (Torque wrench being the other) :(

ANd thanks for the words of encouragement... These things are not quick to put together and to know its still being read makes it worthwhile....

Kinda makes up for me being a rubbish Rep :lol:

Torque wrench available at price (cuppa tea) if you ever need it... :thumbsu:

sniperpenguin

Post by sniperpenguin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:44 am

WOW - I guess you guys are due an update ;)

Following the successful engine rebuild, I was able to turn my head towards the other "niggles"...

1. The tyres were not staying on pressure.
2. The bonnet wouldnt open
3. I wanted to update the interior
4. The rear window is ripped

As is always the case, things never happen in the correct order, and whilst tackling these another project car (Hermes) came and went, I got sent to Iceland for 4 days and my TF got sent to (and is still in) the bodyshop for a new bonnet and sneaky upgrade.

*INTERIOR*

Meanwhile, I came across this bargain interior:

The wood wasnt my taste, but thats not the point. I had landed leather seats / cards, rear speakers and mountings / TBar, 16 wheel nuts, and a box full of bits for a lot less than I should have - SCORE :)

Leather seats / cards have now been fitted (wood caps have been traded for Alloy ones), and rear speaker pods have been installed - The metal bar on which the pods are mounts is actually slightly different to the "non-pod" one, so I swapped it over as an entire unit.

This has brought about the old "noise deadening layer no longer bloody fits properly" issue to PANDA - I can see a stanley knife appearing in the near future....

*BONNET CABLE*

Determined to get this car on the road before its MOT expires, I set about the bonnet cable - Apparently the "lie under the car swearing for 20min" method for opening the bonnet is an MOT no-no! ;)

I will put together a Moron's guide on .ORG as a HOW-TO (The Reg doesnt tend to store HOW-TO's on its forum) and include the link here, but here is the standard route of the cable. Starting at the back:

...coming out of the engine bay on the drivers side...

...running down the back of the cabin...

...alongside the drivers seat...

...out of a grommet under the bonnet (missed that pic) to its final destination

After all that, it STILL didnt work.... finally had to adjust the bonnet to an unnatural angle to get it lined up and working, so an adjustment with a big spanner (which I dont have) and a replacement catch (which I cant afford) is on the cards :(

*TYRES*

Bit of a last minute bit of luck on this one. The fronts on PANDA were Eagle F1's in good nick (unusual on a project car) but needed pumping up to proper pressure. passenger-side seems OK but the drivers-side had a metal valve-cap that appeared glued on. Finally managed to attack it with a screwdriver...

The side effect of this was a tyre that next morning was flatter than an X-Factor contestants voice :( - No effect from the tyre inflator (just a hissing) but a trip to a local tyre place showed through the mega-technology of "sticking it in a bath of water" that the rim was leaking air. Cost of repair? (paste, new valve, balancing and tyre check) - £20 :). I'll keep an eye on the other side and may through it to them for piece of mind anyway.

*Rear Window*

Found a new guy in Liverpool who does a plastic window mail replacement service (like the old MGFMania days) for £59 delivered. I'll give them a shot on PANDA once I bring up the confidence to break the window rivets (dont laugh!) and post up the result pics....

Take care guys :D Hopefully my next update wont take as long!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Looking good Nigel - and yes, I think that the Register should do more "how to"s on the forum! So thanks for starting this one off :thumbsu:

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:50 am

Great thread !!
I love these kind of projects and write ups.

You did a top job on the engine and I am sure the interior would look great in the white F. I bet you have made some good money from the wood effect parts. What about a one off with some white details in the interior as well (door capings, triangular footwell thingies, etc...). Afterall, PANDA must have a black and white team.

sniperpenguin

Post by sniperpenguin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:16 am

Thanks Erik - knowing people are enjoying reading the thread is what keeps me interested in writing it. And if they manage to pick up something without making the mistakes I did, then all the better :)

Regarding the white paint - this is already in my mind ;) Just need to choose a paint code / manufacturer to keep it constant, and decide which pieces to attack!

Centre console and and door caps are the obvious targets (would like to keep the door leather black), followed by gear gaiters and maybe even the dial cowling if I can find one cheap!

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:01 am

Good to see you are still making headway. I always find reading haw much fun other people are having with their cars spurs me on when I've got one in bits.
Yuo would need to think carefully about white trim in a car like the F, the steeply raked screen may cause irritating reflections at night.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:10 pm

I love the idea of painting the door caps white to suit the exterior, but I think less is more often with these things. But emulating a Trophy 160 interior using white as the accent colour is great! I wouldn't do the main intrument cowel though - but the centre dash panel is a definite maybe! :thumbsu:

Regarding the gaiters - some very cheap options available on ebay. I got black leather/ grey alcantara to match the seats for the gear and handbrake gaiters. Unfortunately the colour match isn't ideal, but it is good enough, and is a real lift to the interior. See whether you can get white alcantara/leather over black, and I don't think it will be too OTT :thumbsu:

Keep up the Panda theme Nigel! :D

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: What am I letting myself into?

Post by RobboMC » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:27 am

I also got to the bottom of this thread!

I noticed when bolting on the cam ladder that the camshaft oil seals wetre already in place, or were they.

Do you use the special tools to fit the camshaft seals or just ease them in with a large socket?

I am about to replace my cams so will be removing the ladder and replacing the seals while it's open.

Also, what trick do you use to hold the cams in place to torque up the pulley bolts?
I managed to get them loose my clamping a big spanner to the engine mount post
with the arm of the spanner sticking through a pulley hole. Seems a bit 'butcherish' though.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:49 am

You drift in the new seals with a large socket. I can't remember the size I used... 32mm??? I've a memory of a goldfish...

You'll find that the ladder is sealed with an anaerobic sealant - you'll need to remove the old stuff before replacing it with new. Tim used the non-serated edge of a hacksaw blade to do this.

To torque up the cam bolts, use the cam locking tool (cheap as chips from Draper, available on fleabay). So long as the other pulley is still there, it'll work a treat, locking the two cams relative to one another. :)

Barred
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Post by Barred » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:27 pm

Great work! :) Always a pleasure to fire up an engine you've done heart surgery on! Of any sorts. The new interior looks good. Keep up the posts.... please.
Do not invert, contents liable to spill.