Clutch problems ?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
nigelc
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 SE

Clutch problems ?

Post by nigelc » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:39 pm

My My is'nt it posh over here i feel like i should keep my pinkey raised whilst typing :lol: :lol:

Anyway to business got home today after chasing & beating i might add an Axxx TT :x in the heat of the moment dumped the clutch on 4000 + RPM slips like a bugger now Ho Hum :oops: the garage is filled with the whiff of burning clutch & a large bill looks on the cards.

The Questions are will a Lotus Elise clutch fit,or can you get a fast road kit for the F,Has anyone had a clutch done recently & how much is it likely to cost ? ?

I await some good news :thumbsu:
DOES MY BUM LOOK BIG IN THIS ? ?

Fastcar53

Re: Clutch problems ?

Post by Fastcar53 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:09 pm

100% positive that an Elise clutch plate will fit an F. Not sure about cost though as I have not had one done recently.

The race car has got to go in an have an engine out over winter and thats not going to be cheap. The flywheel disentregrated or the fly wheel bolts sheared not sure which yet as cannot be bothered to take it apart!!

nigelc

Post by nigelc » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:50 am

Crikey ! ! I wouldnt fancy the bill forthat one,

What sort of clutch do you use for the race car then,would that be too agressive for the road ?

Spike
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: Mg Tf 2011

Post by Spike » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:30 am

Yep done the same thing....dumped clutch,4.5k revs..result.....a clutch that was medium rare to well done. :o
A couple of months of taking it easy stopped the clutch slipping but still a bit iffy now and again.

I know Brown and Gammons amongst others do an AP (excellent make) fast road/comptetition clutch kit of bearing/plate/cover.
Its just under £200 I think which should be just spot on.
Gratuitous link..... h[url]ttp://www.ukmgparts.com/index1.html?o=110323865130082[/url]

nigelc

Post by nigelc » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Well the box is out and the friction plate is cremated there dosnt appear to be any damage to the flywheel so looks like a clutch kit will sort it,the garage i use for major work like this has suggested fitting a Black Diamond kit,has anyone got one of these in and if so what are they like ?

Rick
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 'F #72 TF135 Conv

Post by Rick » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:43 pm

I have fitted a black diaamond clutch kit on a previous car 200+hp astra turbo conv...... it was excellent, much better than a standard clutch, noticed especially in circumstances that you have described ie dumping the clutch quickly!!!

Rick

nigelc

Post by nigelc » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:31 am

Thanks for that info Rick looks like the Black Diamond it is then :D

A Black Diamond for Black Magic it seems appropriate :thumbsu: