Fuel Pump Gasket Changed - Car Will Not Start

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
SteveC123
MGF Register Region: South East

Fuel Pump Gasket Changed - Car Will Not Start

Post by SteveC123 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:19 pm

I've just changed the fuel pump gasket on my MY2000 1.6.

Also changed the spring clio on the top hose for a jubilee clip.

Everything is now all back together and checked but the car won't start - any ideas why?

TIA

SteveC123

Re: Fuel Pump Gasket Changed - Car Will Not Start

Post by SteveC123 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:47 pm

I've checked fuses - nothing blown.

Pulled fuel pump back out of the tank, laid it on the back shelf plugged in and cycled the ignition - no whirring / buzzing if you turn the engine over.

All wires / connections on this look fine. :-S

SteveC123

Post by SteveC123 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:58 pm

Found the problem (and possibly the cause of the fuel smells I've been trying to eradicate).

The positive feed pin to the pump has melted the plastic around itself - when I've plugged it all back in, this pin has dropped down inside the pump meaning no connection has been made.

As the plastic around this has completely broken down I suspect fuel vapour has been passing through the hole and venting.

Hopefully Araldite will save the day else it'll be time for a different fuel pump!
Attachments
image.jpg

SteveC123

Post by SteveC123 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:26 pm

And... it still reeks of fuel, urgh!

Will get the airbox out next so I can get a proper look at the connections on the fuel filler pipework but increasingly looking likely to be the tank is venting from elsewhere. :(

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:36 am

OMG! Burning electrical contacts inside a fuel tank??? :o

Where abouts are you Steve? I have a spare fuel pump/sender sat in my Shed for ages which you can have...

SteveC123

Post by SteveC123 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:55 pm

All back together now with no fuel smell. :)

I've gelled the pin back in with araldite and there's a lot of it in the tank side of the plug. Is there any particular cause for the pin to get that hot?

(I think it's just got hot - no sparking?)

I'm in Canterbury :)

carlvk
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by carlvk » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:47 am

If the pin was loose, then it wouldn't make a good connection and it would arc. The arcing will generate heat and cause the discolouration. It most definitely isn't good.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:10 am

Let me know whether you need my pump assembly - it's yours if you want it: I don't want you blowing up! :?

SteveC123

Post by SteveC123 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:31 am

Rob Bell wrote:Let me know whether you need my pump assembly - it's yours if you want it: I don't want you blowing up! :?
How much would you like for it, Rob? I take it it's the Mk2 assembly or are they, wiring aside, interchangeable?

SteveC123

Post by SteveC123 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:48 am

carlvk wrote:If the pin was loose, then it wouldn't make a good connection and it would arc. The arcing will generate heat and cause the discolouration. It most definitely isn't good.
Indeed. Almost certainly how it ended up in the state I found it.

However... I didn't just bond the pin back into the plug when I used the araldite.

Rather than do as you would normally do and fit and lock the pump into the tank before then reconnect the wiring to it, I had the pump loose in the tank and pushed on the underside of the pins as I plugged it in.

An unintentional consequence of using araldite has been that you can now not remove the plug for love nor money but I guess it works and there is no chance at all the pins will come away again any time soon. ;)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 am

It's from a 1998 MGF. It's the same pump used in the MY2000 MGF up to chassis number 522572 :)

SteveC123

Post by SteveC123 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:28 am

Rob Bell wrote:It's from a 1998 MGF. It's the same pump used in the MY2000 MGF up to chassis number 522572 :)
No good then, unfortunately :(

Thanks for the offer though - seems like a really friendly community on here. :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Shame - but I am sure that we can probably find you one! Try dropping Tony (itsonlyme) a PM, or contact Martin Smith...

It's the community as much as the cars that have kept me in the MG fold all these years - it's an infectious mix! :lol: