Very confusing problem! stalling issue :(

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Bradley7779
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Very confusing problem! stalling issue :(

Post by Bradley7779 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 am

Hi Rob!
I guess you learn something new everyday! lol only thing I didn't get chance to do was clean the breather pipes! It started hammering it down with rain so I called it a day ( Plus I had to go and pick up the Mrs! ) .. I saw the one breather pipe from the IACV ? .. but will all of the other pipes connected to the air filter sytem etc need a clean out too?
The car only cut out once this morning which is better than twice so I think I'm slowly getting somewhere! I whacked a bottle of valve cleaner in the tank yesterday and it also sounds to be running a little better too..

Got to pop the new air filter on with the cold air feed and a new fuel filter either tonight or tomorrow depending when they get delivered so i'll give the pipes a clean too.. What should I use as not to cause any damage to them?

Thanks for all your help Rob! :)

Lee.

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:13 am

OOOOOHHHH NOOOOOOO!!! I'm now on the brink of giving up!! I'm nor really at my wits end after a very frustrating drive to work this morning! My car is now even worse! stalled at least 5 times on the way to work.. I have now replaced:

HT Leads
Spark Plugs
Dizzy Cap
Entire Air Filter System - Now cone, new hose etc
Cleaned and stripped IACV
Redex gone in
Full tank of fuel x2 ( In case there was sh*t in the tank )
Cleaned terminals on what ever I could find
New stainless steel coolant pipes - flushed coolant system and all topped up

Anyone have any other ideas?? I have just had a new fuel filter turn up but I'm guessing that may not be the problem considering all the other main culprits have been sorted :(

I love my MGF but it's got to go if it doesn't get sorted soon, costing me a small fortune.. oh and the clutch is on it's way out.. I give up! :(

AAAAAAARRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Bradley.

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:12 am

OK some more info... Just had a diagnostic check done.. Crank sensor and coolant temp sensor warnings.. Idle is erratic up and down plus misfiring.. Garage said sounds like HG too but no smoke, but would explain if water was getting into plug chambers but then burning off as engine heats up which would explain why it runs fine after initial running for a few mins .. I hope this isn't the case!! :(

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:16 am

Crank sensor fault often crops up if you stall - but it is a possible culprit.

The coolant temp warning shouldn't really be coming on: the brown sensor on the coolant outlet pipe from the engine is a possible culprit, but doesn't usually result in stalling - more often a fast idle and excessive fuel comsumption/ poor emissions.

Are you loosing coolant at all?

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 am

Hi Rob!

Not losing coolant and gave it a beasting yesterday evening and no problems at all? I did notice that the fuel consumption is way too high as in I'm probably getting about 70 -80 miles for £20 !! even if driven carefully?

Bradley.

carlvk

Post by carlvk » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Reset the TPS???

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Does that work on a MK1 Carl? I tried it but it made no diff? took it for a run so the temp was up.. turned ignition off, turned it on to 1st ignition, pumped accelerator x10 within 30 secs then re started.. Is that right anyway? lol

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:16 pm

Yes it does - ignition needs to be on 2nd position though - http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/si ... _tests.htm

I'd get a replacement coolant temperature sensor Bradley, seeing that it is being flagged as a problem and the fuel consumption is high...

Part number is MEK000030 IIRC (or GTR206 on old part number books! :lol:)

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:39 pm

ah ha! ok will give that a try aswel then Rob. Although when I start the car I have to turn the ignition on, wait for the lights to go out, push the accelerator down then start it? if I just try and turn it over it wont start :/

So am I resetting the tps everytime??? lol

oh got a new sensor for £8.99 and free next day delivery!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331044465596? ... 563wt_1190

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:38 am

Hoorah! new sensors arrived in the post this morning, now I just need to find out where they go! lol

Well that's my tinker time sorted for later along with the new fuel filter... fingers crossed! Then back to the garage tomorrow to see if the warnings have been resolved..

Rob, your IACV should be with you tomorrow.. Went in the post last night.. :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:30 pm

You're a star, thanks! :thumbsu:

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:59 am

After tinkering around till 9pm last night swapping the new coolant temp sensor and the crank shaft sensor over ( My god is that crank sensor a git to get to! ) I finally thought yessss!! I can now drive to work and not look a spanner when it cuts out on me at the lights! Got in the car this morning.. got to the lights and bumffff! dead.. cut out on me again!!! So annoyed as these faults were what came up on the diagnostics and still it has the same problem! A good friend down the road said that the engine is misfiring and that it sounds like the timing is out but would this cause it just to keep cutting out? The other thing I forgot to mention before was that after I'm starting to get used to this cutting out business now, if I hear the revs about to drop I can let it cut out but then drop the clutch and oomph it carries on running and wont usually stall again after that? I've thrown so much money at this car now I'm almost skint again and cant afford to keep chucking money at solutions that just aren't working :(

I'm so annoyed this morning it's not even funny anymore :(

Bradley.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Whereabouts are you Bradley? If you're not too far away, I'd be happy to have a look - but can't guarantee a fix!

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:53 pm

Hiya Rob!

I'm in Tamworth mate so I'm not sure how far that is from you? I've now got a new little plan to try a few more things tonight then I'm miffed if these dont work! got a new correctly fitting fuel filter as the rubbish they sent me off ebay was just down right dangerous as the thread was too short! i've just got the correct brown coolant sensor so gonna try that as the wrong part I fitted registered on the diagnostic as reading the temp but then I thought maybe it's reading but what if its not sending the signal to the ECU and the IACV isnt kicking in causing it to then stall? I dont know bud maybe i'm just grasping at straws now! lol

Bradley.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:01 pm

One Roger Parker is a near neighbour of yours... and what he doesn't know about these cars probably isn't worth knowing! Worth having a chat with him to see whether you can get to the bottom of this perplexing conundrum.

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Ah excellent! Cheers Rob!! :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:53 am

Bradley, I was just reading through one of my previous Project Shed reports (http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/project_shed/part17.htm) which made me think again regarding your stalling problem: could you have an inlet manifold leak?

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi Rob! Cheers for the heads up! It could very well be.. well today I have changed the fuel filter and replaced the coolant temp sensor for the correct one! Only truth will tell in the morning I guess :/ The garage mentioned it's a possibility of manifold gasket or split hoses somewhere? They also mentioned about the possibility of coolant slowly leaking into a cylinder which may be why it doesn't like starting after its been standing but then as soon as the cylinder has dried out, it runs fine?
Guess I'm just going to keep going through my list bit by bit..

Thanks for the tips again Rob! really appreciate it! Oh by the way did you get your IACV ok?

Bradley.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:50 pm

Yes, sorry, I meant to say that it arrived safely yesterday, thanks!

I think you're garage may be right - again, inlet manifold problem. Water can leak into port #1 - and if severe enough, cause a hydraulic lock-up of the engine!

Inlet manifold gasket is however straightforward to do :)

Bradley7779

Post by Bradley7779 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Ah cool! no worries Rob as long as you got it :)

Just went to pick up the Mrs and stalled again on me!! arrrghhh! ok, timing is being looked at tomorrow and i'm going to order an inlet manifold gasket now just in case!
Would this do the job Rob? >> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inlet-Manifol ... 565ebe0188