priming the tappets

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

priming the tappets

Post by RobboMC » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:57 am

So I've fitted this totally reconditioned engine and I don't know how much oil is left in the tappets.
It's been sitting for around 2 years without running.

Is there any way to get them to prime fast?

I'd prefer not just let it sit and idle while banging the tappets like sledge hammers.
Hindsight is wonderful, I should have checked and refilled them when I had the cams out.

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Re: priming the tappets

Post by Tipper » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:27 am

I'm going to have the same problem on my project engine rebuild which has been on the bench for some time now including a house move.

I have pondered priming the oil-ways after the oil pump with a hand pump so that when it starts up the oil will be at all the bearings and tappets earlier. Probably via the oil pressure switch connection which is downstream of the pump. Didn't progress the idea any further though but I still think it is a good idea for an engine that has been "bench bound" for a time. ;)

carlvk
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by carlvk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:13 am

If you take the plugs out and turn it over on the starter would it work?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:15 am

carlvk wrote:If you take the plugs out and turn it over on the starter would it work?
That's what I did. Mind you, the tappets still didn't fully quieten down for a couple of minutes when I did eventually start the engine...

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:30 am

I guess when they originally built them at the factory they quickly learned from experience to know exactly how noisy and how long to let them run to prime the tappets.
And if they destroyed one or two heads learning that was part of the development costs.

I have read on some Elise engines they have cranked a battery flat then fired the engine with a second battery.

"the tappets still didn't fully quieten down for a couple of minutes when I did eventually start the engine."

So how noisy were they when it was first fired up? And should I be concerned about the noise.

Cam timing has been checked 15 times and is perfect.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:11 am

If you've heard tappet noise from a K-series, then that was as loud as it was - not very noisy, but noticeable and characteristic. To be honest I didn't notice the noise immediately because I was so happy to have got the engine running in the first place! In fact it took me over 30 seconds to notice the alternator belt squealing because the alternator had partially seized! :lol:

Here's the fail cam from when I first started the car:

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:17 am

Rob after watching your wonderful fail video I can only add this photo:
fit new distributor.jpg

Cheers.

If it wasn't for you sharing your experience I probably would not have fitted a new distributor,
then I would have also taken 6 goes to start.

diesel destroyer
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF GT

Post by diesel destroyer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:20 am

I'll be starting my new engine soon (I hope) and as it's all new.. I'll be running it in on Comma 10/40w mineral oil..

Been advised by its builder to remove plugs and turn over by hand until there is oil at the top..

You're probably wise to do as I've been advised too.. And let the engine run on idle for a good long while.. To let everything loosen up and bed in..

Don't start it and rev it..

I don't know if there is an 'official' running in process.. But I've been advised:

50 hours on tick over on mineral oil

Change oil and filter and refill with semi synthetic and do 1000 miles at no more than 3000 rpm

Then change oil and filter again for best grade semi synthetic and have it mapped

Been advised the more time you spend running it in.. The longer it will last

At least turning it over by hand you can get a feel of what's going on..

RobboMC

Re: priming the tappets - new engine

Post by RobboMC » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:26 am

One question - why not fully synthetic.

Is it not better?

I plan already to do most of this stuff. So far only run for about one minute. Cranked up the oil pressure for 60 seconds until dash light went out before ignition.
I'm using mineral oil, and will change oil and filter after about 750 miles.

I now need to let it idle for a while to open thermostat ready for bleeding the cooling system.

Thanks for the rev limit recommendation, I hadn't thought of that.
So much that we take for granted when we walk into a car dealer and buy a new car.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:51 pm

RobboMC wrote:Rob after watching your wonderful fail video I can only add this photo:
fit new distributor.jpg

Cheers.

If it wasn't for you sharing your experience I probably would not have fitted a new distributor,
then I would have also taken 6 goes to start.
Glad to be of help! :)