Our MGF - possibly the most unreliable car in the world!

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ant509
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Our MGF - possibly the most unreliable car in the world!

Post by ant509 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:59 am

As much as I love the Mg we can't help but feel that there may be something wrong with it. As you may know the pressure cap went before so it went in for repairs, but the garage put a used pressure cap on so two weeks down the line it went again :lol: (so we put a brand new one on ourselves) . Now after a couple of days it is again overheating - although before the temperature was staying low suggesting that it was not the head gasket. Yesterday the temperature was fluctuating going hot then cold and steam was coming out of the pressure cap. Any suggestions what is up? We are phoning the garage up and suggesting that if it is not running properly after this repair they should be prepared to give us a refund. Its getting a bit silly now. Thanks guys.
Last edited by ant509 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff.F

Re: Our MGF - possibly the most unreliable car in the wrold!

Post by Geoff.F » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:06 am

I do believe that the reliability of the MGF is due to 'Who does the Servicing' and 'How often is he used'.
I put my car in for the Annual Service with an additional Job to look the car over and advise of anything that may need attention. I have probably avoided a wheel bearing failure in the Alps this summer and adverse tyre wear by having the rear suspension attended to.
I would suggest that you buy an hour labour from Techspeed.
Geoff F.

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:16 am

To me this sounds like air in the coolant system. If so this means the problem si not releated to the car but related to the craftsman.

Using a second hand cap on the water reservoir?
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:53 pm

After the HG was repaired five years ago and 85000km,( now showing 158000km ) the only major repairs have been a clutch replacement at 120000km. They car has been serviced every 10000km and an anual pre season race check the fluids replaced every 2 years with special atention to the bleeding of the coolant. I had a major expence when the suspension turets collapsed but I had just put stiffer shocks, poly bushes and lowering knuckles. I have used three sets of front rotors one rear five sets of front pads (pads are race type ) one set of rear. Tyres, front still on second set, rears third for road use and for the past two years I have also used a track day tyre which the first set I bought second hand and replaced the rears in January this year. The clutch master cylinder went at one race meet and a little while later the slave which was overhauled at the same time went a few meets later and was replaced and has been fine since. Considering the use and abuse my F has recieved it has been some of my cheapest and most reliable motoring I have enjoyed. So find someone good and have the car serviced on a regular basis and don't by second-hand wear and tear items.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:45 pm

I concur with Geoff here, the car itself is not unreliable, for the fact of the mileage that I do both here and in Europe, hot temperatures, fast sustained speeds no, I'm sorry I must say they can be very reliable given the attention that any car deserves. I consider my car to be a tribute to the attention it gets and the good servicing from my trusted garage.

As Kasper says, it sounds like there is air in the system.

Don't lose heart, get the garage to sort it out or go elsewhere.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

ant509

Post by ant509 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't realise as annoying as the garage using a second hand part was that it may have caused the problem.

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi,
From what's been posted you seem to be very unlucky with your garage's expertise.
A couple of things I can suggest:-
Firstly, is the coolant level at the seam level of the header tank. You will see a small stud jutting out as the level indicator. I have seen people overfill so it's worth checking as you are unfamiliar with the car.
Secondly, remove the pressure cap (when it's cold - we don't want you to be scalded) and run the engine at idle. Let it fully warm up but keep a close eye on the temperature gauge at all times. Run it like this for 5 to 10 minutes. Although it's not a recognised way, removing the pressure in the system does work and it can clear an airlock in the system without your having to get at the three airbleed points. Give the car a test run to see if you have been successful. If not, give it another session, but this time put the car on a slope facing downhill.
If that fails then you will have to resort to the recognised method of purging the cooling system of air.
Good luck.
Hope this helps.
willyphixitt

ant509

Re: Our MGF - possibly the most unreliable car in the world!

Post by ant509 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks a lot, you have all been a big help we will suggest all of this as the car is going in for repair on saturday - hopefully the problem will be sorted so we can get down to the MGfest 08 (its the first show at the heritage motor centre that I will have visited as public instead of working it XD

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:45 pm

Bleeding of the cooling system:
1. black plastic cap at the radiator, Be wise use a new one to replace the old unit: it's costs only 1,5 - 2 pounds
2. Heater switch in the interior open (hot) Bleeding nipple at the heater element under the centre of the front screen in the front area.
3. After having run the engine warm, open up the motor area (under the soft top) take position at the passenger side (For you UK's) and follow the 4 spark plug cables from the cover down along the side of the engine, remove the bold that secures the bracket holding all 4 lines. This bold also is the third bleeding screw.

HTH
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

johnny kingdom

Post by johnny kingdom » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:49 pm

"Our MGF - possibly the most unreliable car in the world!"

No that'll be mine.... See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1837

:oops:

Mike

ant509

Post by ant509 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:42 pm

I was reading your story and I really feel sorry for you mate. Good look with your repairs. We get ours back tomorrow :D (just to rub salt in the wound)

Mark L
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Mark L » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:34 pm

"Our MGF - possibly the most unreliable car in the world!"

I doubt it!....

Take my Wifes last car (someone did thankfully)

Not that old when bought, low-ish miles, dealer history, yet in six months it had.....

Dodgy window regulator
Dodgy door lock solenoid
Noisy diff
Dodgy CD changer
Loud rattles from windows
Loud top end rattle on cold start up
Coolant bottle 'exploded'
Rad hose 'blew off'
Radiator leaked
Rocker gasket leaked
Oil filter housing leaked
and the final straw was the sump gasket started to leak meaning expensive repair needed due to access - so I cut my losses and sold the thing at a BIG Loss...

This was the 2nd car we'd had from this manufacturer and the first was not much better - sadly I/we never learnt our lesson....... one things for sure though, I will never own a BMW again!.

Quality Bavarian engineering?....... :rant:

ant509

Post by ant509 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:35 am

God I thought our car was bad.You sound like you've had all the bad luck :(

Mr Teddy Bear
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:50 pm

:thumbsu: I have to say that not so much as a soon to be MGF Owner, but more as a Merc' Owner I found the last comment very very funeeeeey!! :D

Tim.
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF Trophy

Post by Tim. » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:33 pm

If bleeding the system properly and a new cap doesn't fix it, I'm very much afraid that it might be the more unusual flavour of HGF with combustion gasses getting into the coolant system causing over pressurisation. A sniff test on the coolant and a pressure test will confirm.