Flasher switch?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
TaffMGF
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Flasher switch?

Post by TaffMGF » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:34 pm

evening all, first of many questions as I chase the various faults on my car, which is a 1996 VVC.

My flash function on the column stalk switch doesn't work. The lighting & indicators all work as they should, all I'm missing is the momentary flash as you pull the switch towards you.

I pulled the column shroud off today to have a look, nothing seems amiss in there. Am I right in thinking that the steering wheel needs to come off to remove the column stalks? Are these switch's prone to failure, or is there a known fault elsewhere in the system that I should maybe investigate?

Thanks in advance, Taff

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Flasher switch?

Post by talkingcars » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:50 pm

It is proberbly a burt out contact in the stalk.

The wheel isn't hard to remove.
Battery off for 10 minutes to discharge airbag.
2 x T30 torx bolts on back.
Pop air bag off and unplug.
1 x 19mm bolt (same size as road wheel brace).
IIRC it's 4 screws for the rotary coupler (be careful not rotate it).
You can now get to the stalks.

It might be worth unplugging the stalk and trying it on the replacment before removing the steering wheel.

It might be worth considering the Rover 800 stalk upgrade while it is in bits.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

TaffMGF

Post by TaffMGF » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:59 pm

thanks, I'll try that, my wheel is slightly off centre, so I might whip it off anyway, and refit it straight. After doing the steer check, 'natch

TaffMGF

Post by TaffMGF » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:00 pm

well, it wasn't that :-\

the replacement (used) stalk was waiting for me when I got home, following your suggestion I switched over the plugs without unbolting anything and I still don't have a flash.

Oh well, time to chase down a wiring fault. Does anyone know if, when you operate the flash, both dip & main come on? or is it just main?

cheers, Taff

p.s. for sale, MGF indiactor stalk... :-)

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Frustrating - I think it is only the main beam.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

TaffMGF

Post by TaffMGF » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:38 pm

I've found this:-

http://www.mgfcar.de/schedules/lights.htm

which explains how they work at the lights but not the wiring of the stalk switch itself.

Ho-hum, trial and error time

G0RSQ
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by G0RSQ » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:19 pm

Hi

Looking at the electrical diagram for the F the "flash" function is entirely controlled from within the indicator stalk!

If the main beam switching works correctly, then the flash function must also work, unless the switch is faulty!!!

With the headlights ON, if you pull the stalk all the way forward until the "switch" clicks does the main beam come ON?

If it does, then the only issue can be with the stalk switch!!! Even a bad connection to the stalk will not cause the "flash" function not to work!

Peter

TaffMGF

Post by TaffMGF » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Peter.
I arrived at that conclusion as well! You have cheered me up no end :-)

If I switch my dip beams on, and then operate the stalk, it passes through the "flash" position with nothing happening, until it reaches the positive "click" which turns on the main beam.

I've sat in the car with the switch/stalk wired up and tested the leads with the voltmeter, and it all checks out.

I think my switch is faulty, and the used replacement is also faulty.

Anyone got a known-good switch I can borrow?