Clutch Release

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
fastcar
MGF Register Region: South East

Clutch Release

Post by fastcar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:27 pm

Okay my fault to a degree but after a few months Sat up I went to drive My MGf 1.8vvc with air con.
And the clutch went down but is stuck now apart , so my question is how do I get this sorted ,
I have tried spraying wd 40 into the area but obviously it's not easy to get to it.

So do I have any choices or is it just change the release arm for the new one I have read about on here, also change clutch at same time and I guess best to do the timing belt at same time,
Any ideas how much this should cost and any where in Gloucester area to get done

Thanks in advance

Forrester
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Re: Clutch Release

Post by Forrester » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:30 pm

Your best bet is to contact "mg-rover mobile mechanics" who do a good job & are cheaper than using a garage.
I have used them several times & live in Cinderford, Glos.
If the car is drivable, there is a MGR garage, Overbrook , in the town of Drybrook which I also use. In fact my TF is going there tomorrow for clutch slave cylinder.

fastcar

Post by fastcar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:47 pm

Would you believe ,I'm in Cinderford !

fastcar

Post by fastcar » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Managed to release it today and out for a spin ,what a joy on a lovely sunny afternoon in the forest

Forrester
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Post by Forrester » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:53 am

Glad you got it fixed.
PM me if you fancy a chat.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:59 am

Now it is released find out why it stuck and take preventative action to avoid it happening again.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:08 pm

talkingcars wrote:Now it is released find out why it stuck and take preventative action to avoid it happening again.
Agree with you James!

Lack of use perhaps?

fastcar

Post by fastcar » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:05 pm

I did say in my op that it has sat for a few months , what preventive measure might I take ?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Three options:
1. use the car as much as you can (I know: really obvious!)
2. attempt to lubricate the shaft of the clutch release arm as it passes through the bell-housing casting (a light penetrating oil like GT85 or PlusGas) might do the trick, although to get decent lubrication is difficult
3. if and when you replace the clutch, consider replacing the release arm with an item that can be lubricated (Mike Satur, Brown and Gammons etc.)

I suspect that now you've freed up the release arm and are starting to use the car a bit more, the problem will go away - but option 3 might be a long-term answer, particularly if the problem were to recur.

fastcar

Post by fastcar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:21 am

Thanks Rob,
Yes I have lubricated the are as best I could which I'm sure did help eventually ,I fear the clutch will be due to be replaced soon and I will definitely put on the new release arm,and I guess do the other bits like cam belt and water pump at same time.
Though the cost is putting me off

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Replacing the arm at the time of clutch replacement would be the ideal time.

If you were influenced by the "Darkside" you'd probably also be fitting an up-rated AP racing clutch and lightened flywheel! :lol: Lots of money-spending idea available! ;)

fastcar

Post by fastcar » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:33 pm

Yes I would like to do that as I was initially intending to use this for track days etc
Not sure about the sense in spending too much though

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Have a think about the kind of track car you are intending to have. If a car that is also used as a daily driver, it will take you in one direction, but a dedicated, cheap track-day car could be another. If the latter, there are loads of weight saving to be had without investing money which will improve track performance (and also reduce tye and brake wear!)