Correct Gearbox Oil ?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
fastcar
MGF Register Region: South East

Correct Gearbox Oil ?

Post by fastcar » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:09 pm

I am a little confused which oil is correct or Best for my 1998 1.8vvc

Even the parts shop checked computer and it gave two completely different types of oil as correct
However I have also read that some boxes don't like fully synthetic oil :?

Any ideas please ?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Correct Gearbox Oil ?

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:11 pm

MTF-94 gear box oil is what you need for the PG1 gearbox :)

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:28 pm

Don't think you can get mtf-94 as it has been re named
I used fully synthetic in my box which was put in 7 yrs ago and all is O K bye the bye gear box oil is a for live item I found out so no need to change it
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:58 pm

Texaco MTF 94 is readily available. Google it for a supplier.

ArntyR
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:47 pm

ANY MTF-94 will suffice; I use Carplan and Land Rover do an MTF-94 that I've also used.
It's a type not a brand. imo gearbox temps don't get high enough for synth. need (temp. degradation)...

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Helsbyman wrote:.....gear box oil is a for live item I found out so no need to change it
It does deteriorate over time, IIRC MGR went for a 90k change.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

ArntyR
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:35 am

'...filled for life...' has fairly recently been introduced to us by the leasehold/temporary ownership sales fraternity.

Imo it's an unsavoury selling point; merely a modern 'economic' justification to favour a particular brand irrespective of the long-term (beyond warranty) consequences.

(Changing gear oil is a low-cost d-i-y job that I do every couple of years as part of car-ownership. I've changed gear and engine oils after the first few thousand miles with my new cars, too...a 'no-brainer' imo. I feel that regular fluid flushes can only help to preserve the car beyond 'warranty' since motoring fluids will always degrade and/or need refreshing in hostile engine environments.)

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:19 am

Neither Carplan or Land-Rover are oil Companies therefore you do not know who supplied the Container or the Oil in it.
Our Cars are maintained using ONLY Original Parts and oil from Reputeable Oil Companies. Perhaps not the cheapest route but the more reliable and in the long run, the least expensive.
It is Serviced by a chosen Dealership every 12 Months to the Original Schedule with oil yearly, brake fluid every 2 years and coolant and CVT Fluid at 5 years. Additional work was a replacement head gasket and steel head dowels when having the oil rail updated.
I still will do running repairs and replacement but will willingly let somebody else do the routine.
Geoff F.

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:50 pm

talkingcars wrote:
Helsbyman wrote:.....gear box oil is a for live item I found out so no need to change it
It does deteriorate over time, IIRC MGR went for a 90k change.
Thanks for that. Given I changed mine at 30k and have now done 68k by the time mine has done another 50k the car or my self will be dead :lol:
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:32 am

The local Penrite people explained to me that the critical part of MTF-94 is the viscosity.
If it's too high ( thick ) then you have trouble shifting, especially when cold, if it's too low ( thin )
then that's not good either.

The ONLY oil they will place the MTF-94 spec on is their 75W-80 semi synthetic gear oil with a viscosity of 56 cSt @ 40 deg C.
They have plenty of 'better' synthetic oils, but none have this viscosity.

The spec for Texaco MTF 94 is 53 cSt; taken from here:
https://www.cepsa.com/stfls/CepsaCom/Lu ... F%2094.pdf

I have Penrite 75w-80 in my new gearbox and it is excellent.

gileslewis
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by gileslewis » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:16 am

Hi all

Interesting, I have ordered from ebay...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111648896111
To top-up with, as I have a drip from one of the driveshaft seals :-(

And I was in the 'discount motor center' chatting with them, and his system was saying MUMTF PLUS 75-80 (as MUMTF 75-80 was discontinued)
This tallies with the above info regarding viscosity and the important numbers 75/80 :-)

Is the differential and diff oil separate from the gear box? As the drive shafts look to come out of the gear box?
ANy one any experience of changing the oil seals from gear box to drive shaft?

Cheers
Giles

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:12 pm

I've not had the "pleasure" of changing those oil seals, but I can confirm that the diff sits in the same bath of oil as the gearbox gears.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: Correct Gearbox Oil

Post by RobboMC » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:50 am

I had a small 'incident' last weekend with my gearbox. Arrived home to find a trail of oil all the way up the road, into my drive and straight to the back of the F. "What a disaster" I thought. Further inspection revealed the leak was very sporadic, and sometimes very, very fast. Not a shaft seal I thought, more likely a hole.

Turned out he filler plug was gone, missing - disappeared completely.

So when you refill your gearbox make sure you tighten the filler plug up to the correct torque of 35Nm.

I can assure you they are not self tightening. I was lucky, damn lucky; it fell out around 500 yards from home.
In that short distance I lost around 1-1/2 litres of MTF94.

Much further and I would have had a dry gearbox.