Exterior Door Handles

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
deanoandrew
MGF Register Region: Essex

Exterior Door Handles

Post by deanoandrew » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:55 pm

Please help !

Ive had my TF135 for 3+ years but not had anything else go wrong so not sure where to get spares from.

A few months back the Chrome part of the drivers door handle broke, so i managed to get a spare of ebay, What a faff that was fixing !!

Now the plastic surround bit has also broken around where the screw thread goes, on one of the fixings and the middle one that holds the lock bar.. Not much i can do so needs to be replaced.

I am looking on ebay and cant see one at the moment in Trophy Blue. So not sure where else to look ? i am based in Essex so local would be ideal.

Alternatively i guess i could get another colour , has anyone else painted the plastic bit ? Any tips ?

Are they available new anywhere ? as i am thinking whats to say the replacement that i get isnt also aged and ready to break .

Any help or advice is much appreciated.
Dean

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Re: Exterior Door Handles

Post by stuart » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:11 pm

I'd try Martin Smith first off- keeps a really good stock of used parts and an avid supporter of the register http://www.usedmgtfspares.co.uk/

It's not a bad job to do unless your hands are the size of shovels!
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

I don't think failing handles is that common on the F so the chances of a replacement being faulty is limited.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

deanoandrew

Post by deanoandrew » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 pm

Cheers Stuart.
I did try Martin Smith, but not replied yet so will chase up .

My hands are not that big, my fatness hasn't spread to my fingers yet ! lol .. When we replaced the chrome bar we didnt take out the lock barrel so it was a nightmare and took hours to get it out of the aperture

Thanks James , yes hopefully not too common, just seems odd my chrome bit went the the rest of it did. i've noticed that one of the rubber stops on the bottom of the door is missing, so think that perhaps when shutting the door it was getting shook about more than usual which has led to the second failure , i have made a new stop by aralditing a suitable piece of rubber back in place.

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:58 am

Hi Dean, where in Essex are you I don't think we've met and we meet twice a month near South Woodham Ferrers.

Call or text Martin, he always answers. I have a parcel coming from him today for a red tonneau cover for a friends 80th anniversary TF. His number is 07722 175473,
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.