start up

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
whizzyboy
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1.8i

start up

Post by whizzyboy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:23 am

Hi, my 2001 mgf has recently developed a slight delay on start up, not the usual turn and instant fire up. Is this the start of something failing or nothing to worry about, would appreciate any advice please. Paul T

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: start up

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:39 am

Delay as in slow to react to the key or slow to fire when the starter is turning?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

whizzyboy
Model of Car: 1.8i

Post by whizzyboy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:48 am

Hi Slow to react to the key then fires up as normal, thanks

andymac1966
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: MGTF 115

Post by andymac1966 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:16 am

Morning Folks,
Been a while since I've posted !
Was doing a search on the forum and the fault queried here just started happening to my TF yesterday and I wondered if anyone had any advice.

When I turn the key in the ignition the ignition lights come on as normal but the starter doesn't engage immediately - it's about 1 second delay then starts as normal. The rev counter is also misbehaving slightly in that the needle isn't sweeping smoothly all the time and seems to jerk a bit. Engine performance seems fine.

Is this a Pektron issue do you think ?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:59 am

Check your earths, a twitchy rev counter is normally due to poor earthing.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

andymac1966
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: MGTF 115

Post by andymac1966 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks TC,
I doubt that would explain the starter issue though ? With both issues starting at the same time I feel they must be connected.
Andy

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:29 pm

The switch pack at the back of the ignition switch is also known to cause problems. It maybe worth wiggling the wires and switch around as you turn the key and this may show if the problem lies there.