MGF Gold hard top.

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MarkB
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 2001

MGF Gold hard top.

Post by MarkB » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi, how difficult is it or what are the chances of finding an original MGF gold hardtop or would it be easier to find
a hard top in good condition and get a full colour match respray ? MarkB :)

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: MGF Gold hard top.

Post by talkingcars » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:37 pm

I would say nigh on impossible so if you really need one get one sprayed but make sure you really really want one.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:32 pm

I appreciate that in the winter the UK weather is not so clement, but I do have to ask the question as to why. A hard top is cumbersome to fit/remove/store (it's a two person job), but whatever floats your boat. I just beg the question why buy a convertible sports car and then want to put a hard top on it? It's a bit like buying a dog and then barking yourself...

They do come up from time to time but be aware that there can be issues with fit, the quality of the headlining trim and of course weather sealing. A decent one is going to set you back a couple of hundred quid (at least), and then there'll be the cost of painting it, which could cost a couple of ton more.

A new soft top with a glass screen might be a better investment.

MarkB
Model of Car: MGF 2001

Post by MarkB » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:22 am

Hi, thankyou for comments on gold 'hard top' - and so after careful consideration and the 'other half' glancing
at your correct comments, the unnecessary expense and hassel of fitting does not justify the plan. and I agree now, 1st mgf and really had no idea of hassel fitting. If one comes up neared the winter then maybe. In fairness the top was more down than up with the warm weather. Thx again.. MB.. :) The soft top is in great condition & so the quick question now is - can a rear hearted window be fitted to current soft top - guessing a small wire loom needed to power de-mist ? MB

Androlyn
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by Androlyn » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:54 am

I agree about the hardtop, not so easy to get on and off and they are a pain to store, I got one for a previous F and then sold it as didn't end up using it.
As for wiring you may already have it, if you lift the carpet and sound deadening behind the passenger seat around the seatbelt you could well find it all ready to plug in, could also have the switch in place too :thumbsu:
Andrew

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:13 am

Having had TFs both with and without hardtops I have to differ.

An F/TF with a hardtop for the winter is a superb addition. Warmth, comfort, quiet, etc. It makes the car a really special Coupe and becomes an even bigger joy to drive, particularly so in the UK winter!
I actually liked it so much I almost left it on all year on one occasion...but then the spring sunshine came out and the softop came into its own. :lol:

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:05 am

The main part of the soft top is separate to the rear window (that's why there's a zip) - you can replace the rear perspex with a glass heated screen, the panels are available from Peter at www.MGFMania.com. They are easy to fit. All you need is a pop rivet gun. The HRW wiring is already there on your car but you will need a relay, which just plugs into the fuse panel under the steering wheel. Then it's plug and play. The rear screen is smaller than the perspex but doesn't impede rear vision and the roof can be folded without having to unzip it. Comes with a CD for fitting instructions.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Tipper wrote:An F/TF with a hardtop for the winter is a superb addition. Warmth, comfort, quiet, etc. It makes the car a really special Coupe and becomes an even bigger joy to drive, particularly so in the UK winter!
I find the F is quietist roof down and as I drive to the mantra "wipers off, roof off" that works for me.

I suppose I am lucky in that I have a nice tin top to drive as well.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com