Wiper Issues

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
fastcar
MGF Register Region: South East

Wiper Issues

Post by fastcar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:59 am

This awful weather has brought to a head my wiper issues,which I have struggled along with for a year or so.
So the motor is finished I have a new/second hand one .
The underlying problem was the wipers only worked on fast or with me pressing down for quick wipe.
I got another motor connected it but the problem is the same,I can hear a relay clicking so don't think it's that,Could it be the wiper stalk ?

Also I did sometime ago see you can use Freelancer stalks and they are better
Is this true ?

Thanks in advance for any help :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Wiper Issues

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:14 pm

The same problem persists despite changing the wiper motor? Seems to me that the problem wasn't the motor, but a problem with the circuit. That the relay can be heard to click suggests that that problem isn't with the stalk either. Do you have a multi-meter? I'd be checking to see whether the wiper motor is getting power; I suspect that there is a problem with a connector or even a broken wire somewhere?

I have the Rover light and wiper stalks on my other MGF. They are a direct swap and are of better quality than the shiny black plastic originals. I had hoped to retrofit the variable intermittent function - but that is just one of those jobs that got added to a growing list of stuff I've been meaning to do "some time" :lol:

They sit at a slightly different angle than the originals, but in practice, this is not really a problem. More here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/steering/index.htm

johncooper
Model of Car: MGTF 135 M.G. M type

Post by johncooper » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Does the variable wash/wipe function come in the stalk itself? That is what the instructions appear to show.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Depends what you mean by that John. The stalk control is essentially a variable resistor. The bit that makes the intermittent function magic work is a separate ECU, that translates the resistance value into an intermittent dwell duration. I bought one (from a Metro if memory serves). Note that the wiper motor is wired differently in vehicles with the variable intermittent circuit - and this would need to be emulated to make it work. Or, if you are an electronics guru and can make 555 timer circuits work, you could make it DIY... :)

However, just plugging in the "new" wiper and light stalks won't give you intermittent out of the box. But the standard lighting and wiper functions are retained without any issues. :)

fastcar

Post by fastcar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:47 pm

All sorted now, I got set of mgf stalks and did swap
Thanks for the replies