New owner - Pektron fob question

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
keithjohnadams1
MGF Register Region: Essex

New owner - Pektron fob question

Post by keithjohnadams1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:57 am

Hi All.

Just picked up my first TF (pics for effect!) to keep my Rover 75 tourer company.

I have a few questions around getting a new fob/plip/zapper.

The car only had one fob with it, although strangely 2 keys. It is the round, 2 button type (car is 2004 reg).

The dealer gave me a spare, used fob not matched to the car to get reprogrammed but my understanding from scanning the forums is that without a 22 digit code/barcode specific to that fob it can't be done, is that correct?

If so I guess the best route is a new fob, which seem to range from about £70-£100 plus programming, ouch! However there are some compatibles on eBay for £25ish, has anyone tried them? The link is
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3787513241

Or is there a cheaper place to get the standard fob?

Finally, any recommendations as to where to get it coded? I am in South Essex (near Billericay/Basildon) and would rather not send the BCU awayif possible.

Apologies for a first post full of questions!

Cheers,
Keith.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

NigelOBB
MGF Register Region: North East

Re: New owner - Pektron fob question

Post by NigelOBB » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:18 am

pektron fobs can’t be reprogrammed without the bar code. I think the code can be pulled from the ecu with t4, other than that you need to change the pektron bcu for one with two fobs. Have you got the eka code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keithjohnadams1

Re: RE: Re: New owner - Pektron fob question

Post by keithjohnadams1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 am

NigelOBB wrote:pektron fobs can’t be reprogrammed without the bar code. I think the code can be pulled from the ecu with t4, other than that you need to change the pektron bcu for one with two fobs. Have you got the eka code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I need to go through the paperwork to see if I have the EKA code. There is a pretty full service history and service book so hopefully it is there.

To be clear.... I have one fully working key and fob. Then a second key, with an unmatched fob (no barcode) which I believe can't be recorded.

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:19 am

Hi keithjohnadams1 and welcome.
If you google 'Technozen Electronics' you'll get all the detailed answers you require and a phone number/email address, too.
He's an enthusiast, he's well-respected, has phenomenal expertise and is tremendous v-f-m. I've used his service before - he's not too far away from you in Brighton - and his return of post service is fantastic. I recently sent him my SCU for upgrade on a Friday morning and it was back on Tues morning, for example...
Incidentally, sorry to be a prophet of doom, you'll probably find out that Pektron TFs are well-known to have poor quality relays in the SCU behind your heater dials. They control c/locking amongst other things. Paul at Technozen can upgrade these and retrieve your EKA code (which was usually written on a small card and just as usually mislaid). If the c/locking relay fails - the (unforgiving) 'deadlock' isn't optional on TFs as it was on Fs (notice the double action on c/locking?) - EKA might be able to get you out of trouble. When my '05 TF relay failed in a supermarket car-park at night :-( I had the hood down thankfully...
W/out being arrogant and 'know-it-all' I'd see this as an opportunity to bullet-proof your TF unless you're sure it's been done. Please keep us posted + good luck.
ps someone's mollycoddled your new TF; it looks really good :-)

keithjohnadams1

Post by keithjohnadams1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:45 pm

ArntyR wrote:Hi keithjohnadams1 and welcome.
If you google 'Technozen Electronics' you'll get all the detailed answers you require and a phone number/email address, too.
He's an enthusiast, he's well-respected, has phenomenal expertise and is tremendous v-f-m. I've used his service before - he's not too far away from you in Brighton - and his return of post service is fantastic. I recently sent him my SCU for upgrade on a Friday morning and it was back on Tues morning, for example...
Incidentally, sorry to be a prophet of doom, you'll probably find out that Pektron TFs are well-known to have poor quality relays in the SCU behind your heater dials. They control c/locking amongst other things. Paul at Technozen can upgrade these and retrieve your EKA code (which was usually written on a small card and just as usually mislaid). If the c/locking relay fails - the (unforgiving) 'deadlock' isn't optional on TFs as it was on Fs (notice the double action on c/locking?) - EKA might be able to get you out of trouble. When my '05 TF relay failed in a supermarket car-park at night :-( I had the hood down thankfully...
W/out being arrogant and 'know-it-all' I'd see this as an opportunity to bullet-proof your TF unless you're sure it's been done. Please keep us posted + good luck.
ps someone's mollycoddled your new TF; it looks really good :-)
Many thanks...really helpful!!

I have emailed Paul @ Technozen and will take it from there.

Gavin207
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by Gavin207 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi I went through the same process when I got my TF last year - 3 of the relays had failed so I had them all changed. It's also worth getting your SCU enabled for central locking at the same time ( if you don't have remote locking at present it probably isn't enabled), you can then buy a pair of door locks which are not too hard to fit ( cost me £28) and is a really worthwhile upgrade.
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:51 pm

ps Gavin207, please can I clarify 'deadlock isn't optional on a TF' by saying that I understand owners had the option to push the fob button twice on Fs - the first to lock and the second to deadlock or super-lock? (If they weren't 1.6s, I think...)

On all 1.8 TFs with c/locking one lock press achieves both, one after the other (listen for the double/subsequent actions) so there's no option to lock w/out super-locking. (And you can be super-locked out of your TF if you're unlucky.) - I gather a security enhancement.

I can't see kei…..dams1 stating that his c/locking isn't enabled but I agree that most standard 1.6 TFs didn't have c/locking/super-locking enabled (some 1.6 TF special editions or the 'run outs' may have that upgrade, tho')

HOWEVER I applaud your decision to check and upgrade the SCU relays on your new TF. Certainly I'll be doing the same very soon having 'suffered' with my previous TF. Kei….dams may have to send his SCU and non-working fob (or both fobs) away to be sync'd and to have his missing EKA extracted, so the relays could be checked at the same time I suppose...

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:11 am

ArntyR wrote:ps Gavin207, please can I clarify 'deadlock isn't optional on a TF' by saying that I understand owners had the option to push the fob button twice on Fs - the first to lock and the second to deadlock or super-lock? (If they weren't 1.6s, I think...)
Your correct, on earlier cars with the rectangular Lucas fob the first lock button press locked the doors, a second press in quick succession would deadlock then them.
On Pektron cars, a single lock button press locks and deadlocks the doors all in a single action, so there is no option to lock without deadlocking when using the fob. If you want to just lock without deadlock, you have to lock using the key in the door.
I don't believe its a function that can be turned on/off using testbook like lazy locking.

keithjohnadams1

Post by keithjohnadams1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:31 am

ArntyR wrote:ps Gavin207, please can I clarify 'deadlock isn't optional on a TF' by saying that I understand owners had the option to push the fob button twice on Fs - the first to lock and the second to deadlock or super-lock? (If they weren't 1.6s, I think...)

On all 1.8 TFs with c/locking one lock press achieves both, one after the other (listen for the double/subsequent actions) so there's no option to lock w/out super-locking. (And you can be super-locked out of your TF if you're unlucky.) - I gather a security enhancement.

I can't see kei…..dams1 stating that his c/locking isn't enabled but I agree that most standard 1.6 TFs didn't have c/locking/super-locking enabled (some 1.6 TF special editions or the 'run outs' may have that upgrade, tho')

HOWEVER I applaud your decision to check and upgrade the SCU relays on your new TF. Certainly I'll be doing the same very soon having 'suffered' with my previous TF. Kei….dams may have to send his SCU and non-working fob (or both fobs) away to be sync'd and to have his missing EKA extracted, so the relays could be checked at the same time I suppose...
Yes, mine has remote locking and I assume deadlocking on the single press....I thought it was quite loud when actuated, presumably that's the deadlock bolts shooting.

Having checked the service history I have the key code (stapled into the service book) but not the EKA code so using Technozen and getting that at the same time seems sensible.

I'm not aware of any current SKU issues- all of the functions seem to work at present- but it seems sensible to get the relays upgraded at the same time if I have to remove it anyway and stop a problem before it happens.

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:01 am

Yep listen for lock then deadlock - two distinct locking actions accompanied by flashing indicators - when using your fob to lock your '04 TF...

I seem to remember that the key code was originally stamped into a small metal tag attached to one of the key fobs on the keyring and the EKA code was written on a small piece of card (like a business card) that was part of the handbook pack. Easy to lose both.

Incidentally, I noticed that my EKA code was written on an OEM-type label stuck on the SCU when I took it out of my '05 TF to send away. It'd be interesting to see if yours is too.

Imo one necessity of F/TF ownership is to 'get your retaliation in first' :-)

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Great thread, thanks chaps :) Nothing to add really! Definitely worth getting your EKA (you can actually get this changed to a number of your choice) and definitely worth speaking to Paul.

In general, yes, a Pektron key fob without a code is just a paperweight. Whether Paul is able to do something with it is another question!

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:39 am

I recently had new relays fitted to the SCU for my ZS180 by Technozen - same Pektron kit for same age MGR cars.
This was effectively done overnight plus transit times to and from Brighton. Excellent service!

He also read the EKA code and included this on my return paperwork. :thumbsu:

keithjohnadams1

Post by keithjohnadams1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:56 am

Thanks for all the constructive replies, a really good first impression of the forum

I've arranged to send the SCU to Paul at Technozen next week for him to supply and code a new fob. I'll also get all of the SCU relays upgraded/replaced as a precaution as it makes sense at the same time.

Paul confirmed that the used, unmatched fob that I have (no barcode) is useless except as a paperweight!

@ArntyR, I will post back here whether the SCU has the EKA on a label,I will be removing it on Sunday.

keithjohnadams1

Post by keithjohnadams1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:50 pm

To close the loop on this thread, my SCU is off to Technozen tomorrow, I removed it today. Also having the SCU relays replaced/upgraded as a precaution. Almost came unstuck as didn't have a 5 point security bit (TS type), mine were 6 point Torx (TX). Managed to get one from Eurocarparts 5 minutes before Sunday closing, Halfords had none.

@ArntyR, my EKA code was not on my SCU box.

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:59 pm

Thanks for verifying lack of external EKA code sticker kj....s1.

I've anticipated sending mine to Technozen, too, in order to get 'relay-upgraded' and find the code - which didn't seem to be offered to the MGMotors customers. Technozen's told me that there's nothing different about these SCUs. There're from MGR stock/production and they fail just as often.

So, you have 2 keys with 2 fobs and minor stress instead of a major disruption. Enjoy...:-) Good to have closure.

ps just a thought while you're wrangling electrics. On our F/TFs the battery/earth cable lend themselves to a battery 'kill' switch on the -ve terminal; a cheap + easy way (from Ebay) to isolate the battery, I've found.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:42 pm

I am not sure about those battery isolaters on an MGF/TF. But if it is to preserve battery life on a car rarely used, probably makes sense. As a security feature, only moderately helpful, as the bonnet compartment was never hugely secure against the committed thief. And you've disabled the perimetric alarm by disconnecting the battery...

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Keith - I would consider a run down to Brighton to see Paul at Technozen, he does a while you wait service.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 am

Rob Bell wrote:I am not sure about those battery isolaters on an MGF/TF. But if it is to preserve battery life on a car rarely used, probably makes sense. As a security feature, only moderately helpful, as the bonnet compartment was never hugely secure against the committed thief. And you've disabled the perimetric alarm by disconnecting the battery...
Battery isolator gets my vote, particularly for when the car isn't used for long(er) periods - but then it is garaged! Only very rarely use it when 'out and about' and depends on circumstances and timescale etc etc....
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

keithjohnadams1

Post by keithjohnadams1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:27 pm

talkingcars wrote:Keith - I would consider a run down to Brighton to see Paul at Technozen, he does a while you wait service.
I sent it to him Monday, got it back today with the new fob and upgraded relays. Just popped it back in the car and all is good ImageImageImage

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:49 pm

I am not sure about those battery isolaters on an MGF/TF. But if it is to preserve battery life on a car rarely used, probably makes sense. As a security feature, only moderately helpful, as the bonnet compartment was never hugely secure against the committed thief. And you've disabled the perimetric alarm by disconnecting the battery...

Just a thought. It's sometimes good to have access to battery disconnect. In my case Tesco car park late at night, alarm sounding, indicators flashing, 10mm battery spanner at home in the toolkit, people shouting 'shut-up you moron', doors deadlocked... Need I say more? My therapist says I'm doing well...:-)