VVC Bearing removal

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Old gh bug
MGF Register Region: North East

VVC Bearing removal

Post by Old gh bug » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Has anyone separated the bearing from the drive of the cam , I was wondering which way to it comes off?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: VVC Bearing removal

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:16 am

I reckon it needs pulling out...

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:00 pm

Is there a bearing?
I ask because most if not all camshaft related bearing surfaces are the alloy of the head and camshaft carrier.
I've not looked at any exploded diagrams, just going from experience of dismantling and reassembling the camshafts and VVC bits.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:56 am

Absolutely, yes: not for the cams themselves, which like the standard K16, are within the cam ladder in the cylinder head, but within the VVC mechanisms (a gearbox of sorts) at each end of the cylinder head, controlling both pairs of inlet cams. Here's the picture of the SKF manufactured bearing mentioned earlier in the thread:

Tipper

Post by Tipper » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:39 pm

Ah yes, I see it now!

My understanding of the 'tappety' VVC gear is that it is wearing of the little square block cam sliders that are the noisy bits due to the increased clearances created.
I believe that on original assembly the block sizes are selected for the best fit. Once a few thousand miles has been run the blocks wear and hence the noise.

Old gh bug

Post by Old gh bug » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Interesting about the block wear, does anyone know what tolerance there is on them i:e how many thou gap they have when new ?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:42 pm

I went with "no palpable play" :lol:

Old gh bug

Post by Old gh bug » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:26 pm

Hmm ,,,,
Well I have two spare sets let’s see if I can get a good set built

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:29 pm

Does anyone know what "A", "D" and "G" signify? See block carriers below:

I wonder whether they relate to the dimensions of the block channels? (I don't recall this being mentioned in the K16 workshop manual, but I may have missed it)

Old gh bug

Post by Old gh bug » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:55 pm

I have an A and a B on mine ??

Tipper

Post by Tipper » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:53 am

I have seen some posts on rebuilding the mechanisms and block selection/sizes in the past. I'll see if I can find the links.
Edit: sorry my bookmarks no longer work so I suppose the webpages are no longer maintained. :thumbsd:
Last edited by Tipper on Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Countax
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Post by Countax » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:37 pm

This may help.
https://wiki.seloc.org/a/VVC_Informatio ... Strip_down

However, i fear you may have already gone too far if you have not marked the position of each part as it was removed, including the orientation of the blocks. I had tappet noises that made mine sound like a diesel and tried everything to cure it including buying new VVC mechanisms from Mike Satur. I spent a lot of money trying to solve it, but never did and i never found anyone on the forums who had also managed to stop the tapping sounds. I even replaced the entire head and that still did not fix it so in the end i concluded i was not getting sufficient oil pressure or flow up to the head even though it seemed ok when measured at the filter sensors. Finally i scrapped the block and fitted a replacement engine. Problem solved !
The blocks have incredibly tight tolerances and must go back in the same orientation.
Nigel

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:21 pm

The workshop manual is very clear that the VVC mechanism should never be disturbed, and the reason for that is exactly as you say Nigel - these components are very tightly toleranced. There is a tool to facilitate the removal of these mechanisms from the without risk of the gearset falling out (yup, that happened to mine). In my case, the mechanisms were excessively noisy anyway, so I don't think I've lost anything here, so long as the system runs smoothly. I'll guess I'll find out how badly this has gone when the engine is rebuilt and fired up for the first time!

Was your original problem piston slap Nigel?
Tipper wrote:I have seen some posts on rebuilding the mechanisms and block selection/sizes in the past. I'll see if I can find the links.
That'd be really helpful, thanks! :thumbsu:

Old gh bug

Post by Old gh bug » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:55 pm

I’m with Rob on this one as well, I’ve nothing too loose , and I’m not sure what all the hidden secrets are about taking them apart.

It would be nice to know the tolerance for them .

I will rebuild the ones I have and try them.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:44 pm

I looked for a TF 135 over a VVC, as although technically brilliant, it looked a nightmare to attend to if needed.

You have to admire the design and precision when conceived. The extra power is mostly gained at revs not really suited to general road use for me ;) Mapping for a bit more mid range torque is what I went for in the end.

Good luck with the build - pity a PTP person can't pop up and advise.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:26 pm

Having a PTP person would be great, I agree Jerry!

The genius of the VVC (and it is genius) is how the torque and power is optimised throughout the rev range. At its most simple, the VVC head is simply a big valve, big port design. Usually this gives you top end power, but at the expense of low-end/ mid-range torque.

There is no doubt that the VVC gives you the top end: 145 - 160PS depending on tune, but there is literally no sacrifice in terms of torque to the "standard" K16 engine. That's the real trick. It's so good, you don't notice it; there's simply no crude power or torque step in the delivery.

Hats off to the engineering team: a quarter of a century on and the system has proven bullet proof :thumbsu:

Tipper

Post by Tipper » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Rob Bell wrote:
Tipper wrote:I have seen some posts on rebuilding the mechanisms and block selection/sizes in the past. I'll see if I can find the links.
That'd be really helpful, thanks! :thumbsu:
Sorry my bookmarks no longer work so I suppose the webpages are no longer maintained. :thumbsd:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Which forum was it on? Post the link if you can, and I may be able to work it out :)