The age old tyre subject

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Stuart Dunn
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135 Sprint

The age old tyre subject

Post by Stuart Dunn » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:01 pm

Hi All,

Been a while since I've been on here so hope you're all well.

Bringing up the age old conversation of what tyres to fit on my TF. Looking at a complete set of .....something.

Was originally looking at Toyo T1R's due to the similar directional treat pattern to that of the Goodyear GSD 2/3 to which the cars were set up for. I know ultimately they're best suited to GSD2 tyres but I was aware of some people who ran GSD3 patterns with no issues. What I'm concerned about is running an asymmetric pattern or a pattern as found on Toyo TR1's ad finding it changes the feel of the car.

Can anyone recommend any particular tyres that resemble the GSD2/GSD3

Many thanks all.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: The age old tyre subject

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:10 pm

I had no problems whatsoever with the F1 GSD3s - the trick was always to change all four tyres together, as you are planning Stuart.

I've more recently fitted 205/50R16 Michelin Pilot Sport 3s (PS4 are not available in a suitable size, sadly) - and I am sure you'd be very happy with the latest assymetric Goodyear F1s :thumbsu:

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:26 am

Out of interest how does it drive with 205/45/16 tyres all round? The reason that I ask is that I have recently acquired a set of wheels in good condition with almost new 205/45/16 Falken tyres for the princely sun of £110. With the bills mounting up for the other work that I am doing it would be a bonus if they were a viable option.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 12, 2022 3:39 pm

Perfectly fine. I've been using 205 section tyres all round for years (decades!) without problem. I find the car nicely balanced :)

mgb281

Post by mgb281 » Thu May 12, 2022 9:23 pm

Thank you for the info Rob

mgb281

Post by mgb281 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:32 pm

This is the best explanation of why some tyre3 work or not on a MGTF or come to that any mid engined car including the MR2. Including a means of predicting what should work from the speed rating.

http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/tyres/index.htm

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:58 am

Yokohama have a new tyre in the range

https://www.yokohama.com.au/our-range/t ... fleva-v701

My son has an old MR2 and he is getting a set, so I'll see how they go on that.
Same tyre sizes as the 15 inch MGF wheels but also has the 205/45 - 16 size

For sporty road use with some wet weather grip these look good.
My Falkens are still only half worn but when I wear them out I'll probably go for the v701.

Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Post by Barbour » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:25 pm

mgb281 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:26 am
Out of interest how does it drive with 205/45/16 tyres all round? The reason that I ask is that I have recently acquired a set of wheels in good condition with almost new 205/45/16 Falken tyres for the princely sun of £110. With the bills mounting up for the other work that I am doing it would be a bonus if they were a viable option.
Should work nicely..
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)