Hardtop Headlining Renewal

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Airbusguy
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Hardtop Headlining Renewal

Post by Airbusguy » Wed May 22, 2024 3:43 pm

Hi, I'm in the process of renewing my MGF hardtop headlining, and am reaching the point of attaching the new material to the 'card' or biscuit.

I'm planning to use a spray-on adhesive (applied to the card surface), but I'm concerned about how to get the fablic to lie even, flat and reasonably taught. I'm assuming there won't be any ability to move the fabric around once it's made contact with the adhesive - or am I wrong? Or should I apply the adhesive in 'bands' one by one, and somehow work outwards from the centre?

Any suggestions from those who might have done this job?

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: Hardtop Headlining Renewal

Post by Notanumber » Wed May 22, 2024 4:50 pm

I did mine recently and in fact was able to reuse the existing vinyl once i had stripped off it's thin layer of decaying foam which had separated from the biscuit to cause the sag .
I did it a bit at a time, tough work but it went fairly well. It is possible to lift a bit back off again to reposition but be careful as it can make the semi dried adhesive bobble which can be visible if pronounced. I wished I had done mine when someone was around to help as it would have been much easier.

Airbusguy
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Post by Airbusguy » Wed May 22, 2024 5:50 pm

Notanumber, thanks.
I imagine if it was vinyl it might be easier, having more 'substance' than my rather flimsy material. So did you use a spray-on adhesive? And did you apply it over the whole surface, then start with the fabric in the middle and work outwards?

Notanumber
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Wed May 22, 2024 9:40 pm

I used a thin layer of a contact type spray on adhesive on both surfaces and gave it a few mins before starting to apply the vinyl a bit at a time. If I did it again I'd probably have gone for a different glue

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 23, 2024 6:33 pm

It is less difficult than you think, because until the glue has fully cured, you can peel apart and reapply.

My attempts at doing this are documented here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/in ... lining.htm

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 23, 2024 6:33 pm

It is less difficult than you think, because until the glue has fully cured, you can peel apart and reapply.

My attempts at doing this are documented here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/in ... lining.htm

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Steve55 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:32 pm

I did 2 hard top linings and did it in bands as you suggested. I used high temp spray adhesive on both surfaces and used a roller to press it down. Very pleased with the results. Don’t forget to overlap around the edges then cut back for the fasteners.

Steve55
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Steve55 » Fri May 24, 2024 9:34 am

Pics
Attachments
IMG_7662.jpeg
IMG_7666.jpeg
8A0AF86F-6224-40CF-8D78-55BE6652A124.jpeg
IMG_7657.jpeg
IMG_7656.jpeg

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Fri May 24, 2024 11:27 pm

Airbusguy: 3 comments:
1. Having done only 1 headliner, and tried to be "Clever" stretching the new material onto a frame then trying to spray & lay it in one go, I would agree with STeve 55 , and do it in bands.

2. The general advice is that as hardtops get hot in the sun (when it finally appears this year!) a temperature-resistant adhesive is advisable.

3. Try to find a Temperature-resistant adhesive which more-or-less matches the colour of your new headlining material. The stuff I chose turned-out to be bright blue: Good for seeing where and how much you have sprayed, not-so-good if (like me) you do the smallest bit of over-spray, which is very visible at the edge of my new headlining!

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Sat May 25, 2024 4:44 pm

We did this last year, I found various ways to do it on the forums and decided to do half at a time. With two of us it was a very quick and easy job and certainly as good as from the factory. One big difference was that we used a contact adhesive for the turned over edges, this gives a very secure fit, no idea if there is any long term benefit though. The turning over of the edges and contact adhesive took probably three times as long to do though.