Transmission problems (((((

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ElectroSoldier
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 'я' MGF 1.8i VVC

Transmission problems (((((

Post by ElectroSoldier » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 am

Ok so Im just back from a 350 mile round trip to see the family.

I gets the pompy and a problem Ive been having with her for a while has come to a head!

The gearbox and/or the clutch?

In late december I had the clutch changed, but I dont know what kind of job the garage did... the clutch was fixed because I could get it into gear after however...

I start the engine with the clutch down in neutral, I release the clutch and the car tries to creep forward almost as if I was trying to hold it on the biting point.
Depress the clutch and try and put it into gear, but it wont go... It isnt easy to get it into any gear, but tonight I managed to get it into 2nd gear to get from the ferry port to my house...

I tried to select another gear (3rd) and it wouldnt go, I pumped the clutch many times but nothing...

Also there is a noise... I dont know how to describe it, its a labouring drone'y whine that changed pitch when the clutch is released.

Any ideas on what ive said so far guys?

redarrow

Re: Transmission problems (((((

Post by redarrow » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:29 am

I have read loads of topic's on clutch and gearbox's,

Sorry but your's sounds like the clutch was not fitted properly and the bearing has gone.

I think your clutch lever has seized, that why you can not get it in gear,

If you try to bleed the clutch ,and then re fill the clutch with new clutch fluid, might work , but i don't think so, sounds like it was, repaired badly last year.

i have the same problem, with the noise it needs new bearings, I got to buy this lot have a look below,

To improve clutch performance, the new style clutch lever arm,is to stop clutch seizing ,there a little hole, in the top,of the lever to let lubrication to the clutch.

Also your notice, i am going to get the slick shift kit,this enables us mgf users to correctly put the clutch in gear correctly, also another clutch saving product.

it might cost £230 but hopefully last years.

ordering this lot ((slick shift excited me.(looks like reverse noise finally going.

Clutch Lever MGF/TF £30

http://www.mikesatur.com/acatalog/Onlin ... ml#aBR7720

Slick Shift Kit IV £140

http://www.mikesatur.com/acatalog/Onlin ... ml#aBR7720

clutch kit £60

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CLUTCH-KIT-Lo ... 58887bc9e4

me and dad will fit our own or you pay £400 to a garage ((no way, i say)).....

ps. I don't no if your gearbox, has gone .......

sorry there no solution, except getting it all out, and having a look, but you can try bleeding might help.

Do it your self
http://www.75andztclub.com/showthread.php?p=2779091

or here.
http://www.mgfcar.de/gearbox/clutch_replacement_MGF.htm

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Ok........

Ok

Ok, do I need to look for a new gearbox?

What parts will I need to fix her as she is now?

I need the ladybird book of answers version because as far as enginey bits go on cars Im not really sure.
I can whip some speakers in and fit some HIDs but the clutch fills me with a deep sense of forboding, together with the fact I have absolutely nowhere to do the work what-so-ever It will be a mech-e-nac job ((((

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Ive had a word with my mech, he seems to think Ill need a new gearbox, because of the bearing problem I had before this happened... plus any other problems that might come up he quoted me £250 all up + the cost of the box, which he is leaving to me to source, or he can get one...

Any ideas where I can get my hands on a gearbox of a '97 MGF VVC guys?

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Need a help to narrow this one down...

3 options to go for...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Any help in narrowing down a choice would be a big help as I really dont know what Im looking at

redarrow

Post by redarrow » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:30 am

might need to take a punt on ebay, really, low millage gearbox's, are suppose to be better.

ask the dealer, probably a scraper.

ppl wont tell you what one incase it crap sorry.

250 refit good.(((((please use the clutch lever above, it a clutch,gearbox saver promise

Charless
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:41 am

If you have the space, it would probably be cheaper to buy another car and transfer bits, if you are paying a mechanic to do it. PG1s almost never give trouble but the OEM clutch release arm often does as they get older, and sometimes the gear cables at the box end. My money would be on the release arm.

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:57 am

Im decided on the gearbox now, and think Ill be getting a new clutch fitted too while hes there...
Its £60 now, or £260 sometime in the next year, so might as well go for it now.

gonna cost about £460 for the new box, new clutch, new clutch lever and fitting them all (((

Just need to wait till next week for the funds to clear now lol

redarrow

Post by redarrow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:24 am

did you see this item.
Slick Shift Kit IV £140

The new SSK IV is manufactured in-house on our own jigs and fixtures to ensure accurate and precision assembly and now with revised components to give an improved gear change. Some components have been upgraded for competition use and will withstand even the roughest of use.We have made the gear lever out of brushed stainless steel to improve the looks and strength, this could be polished for a chrome effect. The new SSK IV comes with an unconditional parts replacement warranty if fitted at our workshops.

i was in pressed.

http://www.mikesatur.com/acatalog/Onlin ... ng_30.html

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:54 pm

There wasnt never anything wrong with the stick shift, I always liked it...

My mech is taking her apart as I speak so soon I will be told exactly what I need to buy.

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:42 pm

My mech called me today, said I need a new gearbox.

Will probably be ok on the clutch but the box is shot!
Just going to order that one off ebay I think...

not as good as a recon'd one but it will do )))

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:48 pm

I know you guys wont advice for obvious reasons, but I really need a little advice.

I can either go for a used:
Which seems ok from a seller with nice feedback
its done 48k miles...

or I can get this for another £100
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/lotus-elise-exige ... 3a654b660b

Would it be ok to fit that blue gearbox to my 1997 MGF VVC ?

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:00 pm

I think I'd go for the blue refurb one, mainly because it's de-rusted and the clutch lever has already been upgraded to the one with the grease nipple. This will pay off in the long run.

The C4BP code is correct for the VVC engine.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

RichardK
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 1996 MGF VVC

Post by RichardK » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Wow. I can see why breaking Millie was tempting for the previous owner!

(I'd have the blue one).
1996 MGF VVC (HAM) - rescued stray
2011 C3 Airdream+

135 cars since 1992 :/

redarrow

Post by redarrow » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:10 pm

that a lovely blue gear box, i would treat that with a nice new sports clutch.

keeping that user on my fav.

((in general, what a gearbox life, i was told our gearbox are very good and last years, what years mean 1,2,5, there other users on forums, have 3 in one year.

any answer there anybody?

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Guys I wanted to asks a question...

When a garage fits a new clutch into an MGF do they, or should they fill it up with gearbox oil?

It seems to the problem with my cars gearbox was there was no oil in the gearbox so it broken, which caused some problems with regards to refitting a new one...

But anyway, is no oil in a gearbox my fault for not keeping on top of maintenance, or the garages fault for not filling it up with oil?

The clutch was changed in December 2010.

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed May 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Changing a clutch necessitates removing the gearbox and it is recommended that the oil in the gearbox is drained as part of the removal process. , It would therefore be good practice to refill the gearbox & check the level of oil before road testing and returning the vehicle to the customer. Obviously running a gearbox without oil is going to destroy it very quickly. However... make sure you put the right oil in it or you could have problems. The correct oil for the manual gearbox is TEXACO MTF94, UNIPART MTF94 or CALTEX MTF94 (or equivalent) - NB DO NOT use this in a Steptronic Gearbox. The only fluid for the automatic is ESSO CVT, UNIPART CVT code in either case is EZL799

capacity for the manual box is 2.4 litres from dry, 2.2 litres for a refill. Fill it through the level hole.

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Wed May 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Objection, Bruce ... oops, just saw your edit :lol:

Of course they should have refilled the gearbox oil, a quick glance in the service manual's gearbox section would have told them to do so. Especially as they will have drained it when they took the gearbox out to change the clutch in the first place. If they followed the rules from the Green Book, that is. Remove gearbox step 7, refit it step 63. If I take a car to a garage and pay good money for the work done, I think I can expect them do to as they are told by the manufacturer, can't I?

ElectroSoldier: That was the same garage where your speedo cable was so skilfully installed, wasn't it? As the refill is laid out in the service manual and you shouldn't expect to check this before another 12.000 miles or one year, your broken gearbox was definitely their fault. I'd sue them for the replacement costs.

Mykel

EDIT: At least now we know where this issue came from. Didn't you have the gearbox oil level checked then?
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org