urgent!! need help

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Janne
MGF Register Region: Europe

urgent!! need help

Post by Janne » Sat May 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Hello! I started today the project to replace my hydragas units, and when i got the first one out from car i got problem. As you can see from the picture, new one's i have(on the right) are missing the metal piece from the bottom that hold the spring. Can i take this part from old one or have i been sold wrong units?

Janne

Re: urgent!! need help

Post by Janne » Sat May 21, 2011 3:59 pm

and how on earth are you supposed to disconnect the rear unit? i cant fit my spanner neither from top or below..

Dell
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: Trophy160 Bug Magnet

Post by Dell » Sat May 21, 2011 6:06 pm

You can use the cones from the old units easiest way to remove them is to pressurise the unit where the fluid hose fits with compressed air & they will just pop out as for refitting them if you do the same with the replacement units you can refit the cones by pushing them in place as you release the air pressure. As for removing the rear units removing the cover behind the wheel will help with accsess to the bolts.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that this is true.

Janne

Post by Janne » Sat May 21, 2011 6:14 pm

how can i put pressure there? I have only cheap hydrafluid pump bought from ebay :D

Dell
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: Trophy160 Bug Magnet

Post by Dell » Sat May 21, 2011 6:31 pm

I used a small compressor but a bit of imagination & a foot pump or the like should do the trick you do not need a lot of pressure as there is no resistance as such I just held a piece of rubber hose over the thread on the sphere by hand.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that this is true.

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat May 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Rob Bell was able to remove one of his rear hydragas units not so long ago so it is possible. Suggest you send him a PM. and ask him how he did it.

Janne

Post by Janne » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:51 am

i have question about assembling the hydragas; when i put new units there how do i fill up the system again? Do i need vacuum pump or can i do it with the cheap ebay manualpump i have? Doesn't that leave air to system?

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:56 am

Hi Janne,

yes, the system must be evacuated to prevent air locks in the spheres, which will give a funny ride. It's actually advised to properly evacuate the system every time the suspension is pumped up as well. Even then air from the pump might enter the system.

Mykel
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Janne

Post by Janne » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:36 pm

can i put some pressure there with my pump because i cant get car off the stands if there is no pressure in system because my jack won't fit under car?

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:44 pm

Yes sure, if the ride to the garage with the vac pump is not too far and you take it very easy :D
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

Janne

Post by Janne » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:30 pm

but then how do i know how much put hydragasfluid there? And i'll take the car with trailer, i just need to put there something to get it back to ground again :D

Janne

Post by Janne » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:37 pm

can any1 help? How much do i dare to put pressure to the system now since there is air?

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:47 pm

The recommended setting is 400 psi, if there is some air left in the system, this will be compressed and so the pressure won't be stable. If you just want to get her off the jack, pump up as much as needed. Won't harm.
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic: