TF Tyres

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: TF Tyres

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Here's the technical bulletin that has just been released:
technicalbulletin_17_tyres_2014.png

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:04 pm

Many thanks Rob 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:59 pm

I spoke to our local independant tyre fitter today. He is aware of the Falken's now being recommended, he knows they are good tyres too. He is a fan of Nexen's as I have them on the work car, in fact he changed the fronts today after 35,500 miles (third set) he has now fitted asymetrical tyres with a rating of C (economy) and C (wet handling) with 71db noise level, this outperforms many of the top brands, I was looking at the stickers as he has them on the walls.

I was going to go with Nexen 8000's on the TF but they are not well known, however he has fitted them to F's and TF's with no reported handling issues. I think I will try the Falkens when the time comes although I am happy with the Toyo's that I've used for some 8 yearss now. I'll have a close look at them before we go to Norway in August. I also spoke to Steve Tyler at British Legends about this today, he also suggests going with the Falken 914's.

In all the years I've run Toyo's I've only had one problem, an inner wall collapsed on a rear tyre but I noticed the uneven tread wear before a European trip so I replaced the pair.

Finally, Nexen's may go up in price soon because VW have now decided to use them as the factory supplied tyre, that's a snub for a German tyre (did they not use the noisy Continentals ?) and credit to a budget south Korean brand.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

oki

Post by oki » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:38 pm

Unfortunately I have fitted new GY F1 GS-D3 on rear wheels already. The fronts are old GY F1 GS-D2. Do you think I made mistake ?

Odoslané z iPad pomocou Tapatalk

Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Fraser » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Probably, but see how it goes. If you are a normal driver, you'll probably not notice anything, as tyres tend to be tested to the absolute limits by the chassis engineers, and you may never get near those limits. However others may disagree, so wait and see if you get any other opinions.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:26 pm

Oki, you may not be aware and I may have it the wrong way round but you cannot put GSD3's on the rear with GSD2's on the front, a service bulletin went out about this back in 2005 or 2006.

During 2005 I was in Holland and I was asked by a TF owner who had just had the GSD3's fitted by his local garage, who did not know about the bulletin. He asked me why it was like driving on a bowl of jelly with new tyres, at the time I didn't know about the problem this match gives. I believe it's down to different tyre wall ratings.

I'm sure somebody will be along to confirm this because it may be the other way round, you cannot put them on the front but I believe I am correct.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

oki

Post by oki » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:33 pm

The fronts GS-D2 are almost at the end of their service. What type of tyre do you recommend me for to change the fronts, when I want to keep new rears GS-D3 ?

colintf

Post by colintf » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:39 pm

oki wrote:The fronts GS-D2 are almost at the end of their service. What type of tyre do you recommend me for to change the fronts, when I want to keep new rears GS-D3 ?

Put GSD3' on the front to match your rears maybe?

Colin Murrell

oki

Post by oki » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:54 pm

GS-D3 195/45 R16 are no more available, so I cannot fit new GS-D3 to fronts. This is why I'm asink what to do ...

colintf

Post by colintf » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:10 pm

oki wrote:GS-D3 195/45 R16 are no more available, so I cannot fit new GS-D3 to fronts. This is why I'm asink what to do ...

Sorry I didn't realise that, 8-)

Colin Murrell

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:38 pm

GS D3 are still available in 205/45R16. Not perfect and the car may tend towards oversteer slightly but imho a sensible stop gap until that set needs replacing. The only other alternative would be selling the rears and get a complete set of Falkens or Toyos.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:04 pm

The decision here needs to be thought out carefully. How many km's a year do you think you will drive ? How much will new 205/45x16 GSD3's cost, they will be OK but not perfect.

You must realise you cannot run these tyres much longer, soon there will be no GSD3's either. Do you really feel the need to keep these tyres or change to Toyo T1R or Falken 912/914's and be assured of replacement tyres for a longer future. If you can sell the GSD3's that will help the decision but I would tell the garage that these tyres are not to be fitted with GSD2's already on the car, they should take them back if that's your decision.

SteveC123

Post by SteveC123 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:16 am

Can anyone advise on the best currently available option for an MY2000 F on 15" rims.

Also, I note mention earlier in this thread of the Krafthaus splitter? Is there anything like this still available for the F?

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:02 pm

Steve the only recommended tyres available are the ToyoT1R's and the Falken 912/914 as above.

I don't know off hand if the KH splitter is still available, try Mike Satur or Google. you may get one second hand if not a new one.

SteveC123

Post by SteveC123 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:15 pm

Many thanks. :)

PeteC
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by PeteC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:23 pm

As far as I know, it is highly unusual for a manufacturer to issue a techical bulletin worded as strongly as this. Has anyone explored the insurance aspect of not using the Goodyear GSD2 (THE only recommended tyre - even though you can't get them any more!) or the alternative Falken or Toyo? If you had a serious accident using Michelins or Dunlops or Yokohamas for example, would you be in breach of you insurance terms and conditions?
Just a thought!
Pete

Frank in Sweden
Model of Car: MGF VVC 1999

Post by Frank in Sweden » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:28 am

DavidT6DCM wrote:
ElectroSoldier wrote:Is there a good list of current tyres... MG approved or enthusiast tried?
This may help you a little, Dave
Which Tyres From Rob Bells Website Click Here

After having read Rob Bell´s list of suitable tyres, I have one question: Only the Toyo Proxes T1-R in size 195/50 R15 is available here in Romania. I would like to fit those tyres both on the front and on the rear. Is it recommendable? (I read Rob´s list as if he recommends different sizes on front and rear wheels). Can anyone enlighten me, please?
Frank in Sweden, (presently in exile in Romania)
MGF VVC 1999, LHD
Austin Cooper S 1964, 1293cc, FIA App.K race car

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:16 pm

195/50R15 are definitely not recommended. The difference in circumference is a vast -1.5% and that size was never ever recommended by MG Rover for the 15" rims. In 2004, MG Rover Germany issued a list of front/rear combinations that won't give any issues. The only recommended 15" sizes are 185/55R15 (f) and 205/50R15 (r), I'm afraid. But you may also use both sizes front and rear.

I have also looked up which brands are available in both these sizes and came across the following -- in no particular order and without recommendation as to quality and/or price. But as you are in a somewhat limited market maybe this helps:

- Barum Bravuris 3HM
- Falken ZIEX ZE914
- Toyo Proxes T1R
- Fulda Eco Control HP
- Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31
- Vredestein Sportrac 5
- Semperit SPEED-LIFE
- Kleber DYNAXER HP3
- BF Goodrich g-grip
- Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110
- Hankook Ventus Prime 2 K115
- Continental Premium Contact 2
- Yokohama s.drive
Attachments
alle_Reifen_Felgen_individuell_508729.pdf
tyre combination overview MGR Germany
(254.98 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Frank in Sweden
Model of Car: MGF VVC 1999

Post by Frank in Sweden » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:58 am

Mykel
Thank´s for that. I admit that I find the the whole Tyre-thread somewhat confusing when I read it... :-)
I looks as if I can get the Falken Ziex ZE 914 on both 185/55-15 and 205/50-15 !
Would you go with this for a 1999 MGF-VVC? I will replace all four tyres.
Would you suggest I use same size for both rear and front, or go with 185/55-15 front and 205/50-15 rear?
What would be an appropriate pressure?
Frank in Sweden, (presently in exile in Romania)
MGF VVC 1999, LHD
Austin Cooper S 1964, 1293cc, FIA App.K race car

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Go for the Falken's in 185/205 combo. Try 28 front 34 rear, that's about 1.9/2.4 bar I would think.