MGF/TF 1.8 turbo manifold

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: MGF/TF 1.8 turbo manifold

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:13 pm

Looks as though I'll be using this guide to see whether the eBay gamble pays off. It's cheap, so probably not, but let's wait and see...

Rob Bell
Committee Member

eBay MGF/TF 1.8 turbo - EPIC FAIL

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:11 am

Well, the eBay turbo, described as being in "good working order" arrived on Tuesday. All good I thought. I "un-boxed it" in true YouTube speak, and lo, there was a GT2052LS turbo complete with manifold.

Using my new found how-to-tell-if-the-turbo-is-duff skills (seemingly downloaded from the computer in Neo style: "I know kung-foo!") I eagerly picked up the surprisingly heavy metal snail, and looked at the impeller on the compressor. Does it spin? Hmm, not too great... What about shaft movement? Whoa! Absolutely masses! Do the impeller blades rub the compressor housing? Oh dear, yes. I looked a bit more carefully and yes, I can see that the impeller has scored the housing very clearly. This is no new problem...
IMG_2152.JPG
So I looked on the exhaust side of the turbo. The picture hasn't come out too well on the iPhone, but the exhaust side was caked in thick sooty oil. Unsurprisingly, the shaft had excess play too. Bearings gone. Oil seals gone. This is in no way a turbo "in good working order"!!! :x
IMG_2155.JPG
The turbo and manifold came in a large box, but not a huge amount of packaging. This turned out to be another problem: one of the castings has shattered in the post!
IMG_2150.JPG
So I have raised this with the vendor. They say they will refund. Annoyingly they want me to return it: having not been in a situation like this before, who is liable for the shipping costs???

So I need another turbo. Do I buy Chinese, or do I try another on-line vendor for a second hand turbo???

Any suggestions chaps? Thanks :)

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:12 am

It's usual for you to be liable for the return costs ...................................... however as the carrier has damaged it there is a claim against them. The bad news is that IMHO they won't deal with you only the person whom sent it as they have the contract witht eh carrier and not you.

Now this seems to be the way ebay works however not always. As you ahve done nothing wrong the vendor should really supply a returns note and shipping label. Trouble is many regard the postage as a nice little earner.

Just a thought would a turbo from a 1.8T be of use?? if so them Just 75's might be a good place to contact and sean is in Essex I believe ........ and is bound to have a decent one in stock.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:39 pm

Not heard of them, thanks Kevin. Do you have a link? A quick google search didn't reveal anything terribly helpful.

The other option is to buy Tony's nearly new 1.8T engine...

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Sorry Rob my fault as I forgot they merged together three spare suppliers and are now called :-

Everything Rover

Try this:-

wyn@everythingrover.co.uk

Wyn is in South wales but he Sean and Trikey whom is located up this way are working together.