Coolant Hose Split And Burst

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Anthony Caple
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG-F

Re: Coolant Hose Split And Burst

Post by Anthony Caple » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:27 am

Hi EVERYONE to those who sent me a replie and to the links enclosed i have read and saved all the details provided, so for those who replied to me many thanks,and im glad you took the time to help out a fellow mg owner i am going to get a low level coolant alarm, as its not allways practical to check coolant levels before every journey sometimes time constraints just dont permitt this to be dome especially in emergenys or in a rush but the coolant alrm ius the way to go and for the advice on the ride height thanks for enclosed links etc i didnt even know they were like that thought they were normal suspension etc! learn something new each day well a little heads up so far so gd with regard to my MG-F no probs or issues at te moment i am thinking of selling it so i can get a newer model maybe swaps if anyone is interested plz get back to me ive just spent nearly 450 pounds on things being dome to car new cam belt etc so many miles of un disturbed motoring lies ahead........... if your interested then plz leave me a msg all the very best Anthony
ps if you are interested then plz pm me with questions you need answered etc it has 10 months mot service history few months tax loads doner to it no leaks etc........... regards
The Proud Owner Of A Mg F Any Advice Much Appreciated

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Okay everybody, Klaus has given me permission to post his fitting instruction for the VW expansion tank, which I have translated, it can be found attached.
Attachments
VW tank en.pdf
(289.09 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

stux99
Model of Car: TF/TF Steppy/MGGS/3

Post by stux99 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:05 pm

Excellent info Mykel, thank you, and Klaus :thumbsu:

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:11 pm

Meanwhile the thank has been changed from a VW Polo 6N to one from a Polo 86c (not too much different though). Also, further improvements regarding the wiring and lamp/sound are under way. So watch out for an update.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

stux99

Post by stux99 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Many thanks, have ordered tank on ebay.

British Steel
Model of Car: MGTF´s / MGZR

Post by British Steel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi, my 5 cents in bad english :lol:
I think im finished with the tests in end of the month, a friend is building a Module wich has a relay for a cable can be connected with what you want, i have a free Place in the Instrument Cluster Speedo Head Dash Clocks on the upper right side, 2. bulb from above and take this, the MGF has 1 free bulb on the left side for cat overheating (mount only in China have i hear), or you install a emergency call to your best friends :lol: And there is including a module who gives you a acustik alert. I will that when the Cooling Water has a low level the Bulb is shine, and when the Water is under a lower level the Bulb is flashing, blinking, Give you an SOS.
I´m in the test phase, any ideas are welcome. The Expansion Tank and Cap are every day in test when i drive the car :giggle:
E-Mail Germany: britishsteel@mg-worms.de
E-Mail MGFIM: klaus@mgfim.org
E-Mail MGFIM Orga: info@mgfim.org
Homepage: http://www.mg-worms.de/

stux99

Post by stux99 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:08 am

Got myself a brand new exp tank off ebay, how does the sensor work?

Anthony Caple
Model of Car: MG-F

Post by Anthony Caple » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi there just a quick update to let you know my MG-F has now been sold all the best im now a proud owner of another MG-F
The Proud Owner Of A Mg F Any Advice Much Appreciated

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Mykel wrote:Meanwhile the thank has been changed from a VW Polo 6N to one from a Polo 86c (not too much different though). Also, further improvements regarding the wiring and lamp/sound are under way. So watch out for an update.
Nice work Klaus and Mykel (for the excellent translation!). But for those who don't speak VW Polo, what's a 6N and an 86c?

Actually, don't worry, I googled it:

VW Polo 6N:

VW Polol 86c:

marcob32

Post by marcob32 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:16 pm

Hi everyone! Reading the how to about the Vw Polo tank replacement, it looks like it's a pretty easy task, only requiring to create a bracket to attach the tank to the car frame. But if I look at the pictures, it seems to me the two tanks have the inlet and outlet hoses in completely different places. So, am I missing something? I can't believe I just need to drag the hoses in new positions, so can you please explain me how to connect them to the Polo tank?

Thanks in advance
Cheers, Marco

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:08 am

I haven't done this modification myself, but I can imagine it is pretty straight forward. It is also possible that there are a few variations of the same tank - VAG likely kept the same coolant tank design for a large number of cars, but perhaps with different hose positions. Either way, it may be a case of extending a hose here or there to get it just right?

marcob32

Post by marcob32 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:03 pm

I will give it a try, thanks Rob!

Cheers
Marco

mgb281

Post by mgb281 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:20 pm

My TF has no coolant alarm and the VW tank does seem to offer a better solution (pun not intended) but how do you wire it in? Do you use a relay which is always off while power is applied or is there a simple way around this that my simple mind cannot fathom. I know that there is a kit that uses two screws to obtain a similar low level reading.
I have looked on Ebay and it appears that all VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda'cars use the same tank, I did read that the black cap is higher pressure though.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:16 pm

Brown & Gammons do a kit using the OEM header tank and sensor, and complete wiring kit. Saved my engine when the head gasket leaked back in 2009 - was worth it.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:44 pm

mgb281 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:20 pm
My TF has no coolant alarm and the VW tank does seem to offer a better solution (pun not intended) but how do you wire it in? Do you use a relay which is always off while power is applied or is there a simple way around this that my simple mind cannot fathom. I know that there is a kit that uses two screws to obtain a similar low level reading.
I have looked on Ebay and it appears that all VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda'cars use the same tank, I did read that the black cap is higher pressure though.
Lots of ways to do this - have a look through this forum's archives for circuit designs, and I think that there is a neat Chinese coolant alarm circuit available on the bay of fleas... :)

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:25 pm

I have fitted a TF expansion tank with integral sensor and a home designed circuit with buzzer. But this looks like a cheap solution if it works?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304578104507 ... edia=EMAIL

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:12 pm

I have wired my low level warning to the unused cat over heat warning on the dash from a constant live so as soon as I approach the car I know if it is low.
I modified a tank from a Rover Streetwise Van to do the job.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

mgb281

Post by mgb281 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:02 pm

Initially I will try one of these; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121381315038 ... SwbqpTu~z3
I am thinking that I can attach the sensor wires to the sensor prongs in the VW tank then use the output lead to trigger a buzzer as well as the LED
I will get the power supply from the reverse light switch, it has crossed my mind that I could run a wire from the other side of the reverse light switch as a test circuit. Would it drive me nuts to have the alarm sound every time I used reverse?