The Definitive Alloy Refurbishment Guide?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: The Definitive Alloy Refurbishment Guide?

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Wheels or TF85LEs? No idea on how many wheels - they're manufactured by a UK alloy wheel company - and I guess it may be possible to buy direct from them if they were open to this (and not bound by agreements with MG Motors). :)

MGTF_avengers
MGF Register Region: North East
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by MGTF_avengers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:45 pm

It's was the wheels I was asking about - just thought I was a bit more... you know, uncommon or unusual.... hey-ho! 8-)
Not bothered about getting a new set, although maybe I could, and have winter tyres fitted, and then I'm good to go when the bad weather is back!
Something to think about!
Better to ask a silly question than to be a fool who remains in the dark....

S67SOK
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Post by S67SOK » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Very fired up now ! But will be doing mine in the 'original' silver methinks.

Thanks for a great guide

Jeremy

ArntyR
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:16 pm

I used this really excellent post to have a go at my own ToPs that had been refurbed into different shades of silvery grey due to some parking indiscretions by a previous owner, (honest...)

Now the car's in my care and I was fed up after the ToPs were recently thrown around by tyre-fitters (wheels taken in 'loose' :-() so I bought a matched set of matt black tyreless 11-spokes from eBay thinking it'd be easier to camouflage any kerb rash. I refurbed the insides myself to get rid of machine marks and a few inevitable bits of corrosion at the rim/spoke interface then got to thinking, after seeing this 2012 post, how easy it might be to synch the colour of my originals.

The many-shades-of-silvery grey ToPs were now tyreless so I decided to go the whole hog and rattle-can them myself. Powder coating isn't d-i-y and is quite costly so I decided to go for a spray-job that is more of a standard/easily obtainable d-i-y wheel colour - 'Silver Wheel Paint' rather than 'Liquid Boron', which I couldn't find anywhere. I followed the 3-thin-coat guide and the process took a couple of weeks (why rush?). I then stored them, unsure of their fate, until a few days ago deciding that they deserved to be reunited with the TF.

Anyway (I think) I enjoyed the process and share this in the hope that it might give others the confidence to 'have a go' too. Other benefits: I've got a can of the correct colour to touch in any future kerb-rash and also the option of selling the matched set of black '09 11-spokes. (They're being listed in my local group mag and in the next 'Safety Fast' mag, I hope...)

ps. And yes, I found another local tyre place where the guys were fastidious with the rims and were much better value than others in the area for tyre removal, refitting and balancing. Plus, the costs of undercoat, wheel paint and clearcoat were less than the price of powder-coating one rim :-).
Attachments
DSCF8728.jpg
DSCF8721.jpg
_DSF9141.jpg
_DSF3276.jpg
Last edited by ArntyR on Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

YMGF1

Post by YMGF1 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:12 pm

Great write up, thanks.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:13 pm

Nice one Arnty - I prefer the silver to the OP's choice, but that's just personal preference :)

ArntyR
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:16 pm

I felt it looked a little 'cheerier' than matt black in my case and, importantly, an easier colour to duplicate than the original.

gerry.laing
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MG TF 85th

Post by gerry.laing » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:37 pm

Took the easy route £240 for refurb
Attachments
IMG_20200423_151440.jpg
IMG_20200423_115738.jpg

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:13 pm

Very smart!