Fan Belt

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Lisa Jayne
MGF Register Region: South East

Fan Belt

Post by Lisa Jayne » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:45 am

Hi, My Emy has developed a nasty squeal on starting :cry: , is it a fairly simple job to inspect, tighten or replace the fan belt and does anyone have any pics so that my hubby has some idea where to look! He is mechanically minded but never worked on a mid engine before, Now if it was a John Deere!!
She has air conditioning fitted if that makes a difference. Any advice would be most welcome, :)
Emy - 1998 1.8 Flame Red MGF

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: Fan Belt

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:55 pm

A noise such as you describe could indeed be a slack alternator belt. To adjust you need to jack up the O/S/R, support and secure the car and remove the wheel. Remove the 2 scrivets and Torx screw securing the closing panel, remove the panel and first check the tension on the belt and the condition of the belt, if it looks like it needs replacing then do so of course. For adjustment, feel will tell you but you should get between 9-10mm deflection on a correctly adjusted belt. To tighten a slack belt, loosen the nut securing the drive belt tensioner pulley, increase the tension by turning the adjusting bolt clockwise, when you have the required tension tighten the lock nut replace the closing panel and refit and tighten the wheel.

Hope it goes as easy as that :thumbsu:

Adrian
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

dwkmgf
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Post by dwkmgf » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:18 am

If after tightening the belt still squeels - it might need lubicating. Water lubricates rubber, but a trick I picked up in the Navy is to poor lemonade onto the belt. I have done it on other cars but not the F. Not a long term solution, so if still squeeling you might need a replacement belt.
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

mga mark
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by mga mark » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:58 am

dwkmgf wrote:If after tightening the belt still squeels - it might need lubicating. Water lubricates rubber, but a trick I picked up in the Navy is to poor lemonade onto the belt. I have done it on other cars but not the F. Not a long term solution, so if still squeeling you might need a replacement belt.
Talcum powder works a treat too at reducing squealing noises.

MGA Mark

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:49 am

If you are going to remove the wheel and closing panel to adjust it, then you may as well replace it whilst you are in there.
The AC Belt has a much shorter life than the normal. NB. It is also a different longer belt.
Geoff F.

Lisa Jayne

Post by Lisa Jayne » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:19 pm

Thanks for all your help, I Have just ordered a new fan belt, as you say, might as well replace it, then I know all is ok. :D
At least now I can point hubby in the right direction, then do a runner abit quick so as not to hear all the swearing and cursing!!!! :lol:

Rick
Model of Car: 'F #72 TF135 Conv

Post by Rick » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi,

Just a quick trick that I have learnt, if you cannot undo the slide bolt, on the adjuster in order to loosen the belt. Undo the bolt that secures the adjuster arm...... onto the block if i remember correctly..... take the old belt off, cut it if nec, then you can swing the alternator back all the way....

Take off the side vent grille, where the engine bay cooling fan is...(two screws) and then you can get a socket wrench and extension bar through the fan straight onto the nut!!!! Hey presto its off!!! :D (mine took several hours to get off before someone showed me this!!1 Simple when you know how!!!

Once loosened its easy to do back up in place when tightening the belt!!!

Rick

Lisa Jayne

Post by Lisa Jayne » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks Guys for all your help, changing the fan belt went like a dream this morning, until I started her up to check all was ok, as I was putting the wheel brace away, I noticed that she was leaking coolant around the bleed screw on the radiator, went to tighten it to find that it had sheared off!! :cry:

So now we have a nice new fan belt, coolant all over garage floor, on a saturday afternoon where there is no where open to get a new bleed screw :x Oh well at least it didn't happen whilst out on the road, have to make do with the Landcruiser for a few days :thumbsd:

Rick

Post by Rick » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:28 pm

That is quite common, mine has gone through a couple

If you get stuck trying to find one and the washer, let me know as my local MGR normally has some in stock!!!

Rick

jonaf
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Post by jonaf » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:04 pm

As long as it is just the threads on the plug and not in the radiator that are stripped it's no problem. A spark plug (with 1.25x12mm threads, I think) fits. :idea:

Lisa Jayne

Post by Lisa Jayne » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:34 am

Thanks Rick for you offer :) I have ordered one from Sussex Classic Car Parts who I got my fan belt from, it should arrive tommorrow but perhaps I should have bought a box full if it is prone to it!! :lol: :lol:

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:18 pm

A Plug, a Header Tank Cap and an Alternator Belt in the flyaway kit.
Geoff F.

Rick

Post by Rick » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:31 pm

Geoff,

Very true!!! :D
I did try to find a metal replacement after the third plastic one leaked and then me overtightening it snapped the top off, but never tried the above!!!

Rick

Lisa Jayne

Post by Lisa Jayne » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:41 pm

I saw a picture of a nice stainless steel one fitted, I think it may have been on the mg-rover.org, not sure where they got it from, but looks alot more substantial than that stupid plastic thing! :lol:

Rick

Post by Rick » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:44 pm

Lisa,

If you could find out where it was from could you let me know on this thread, so i can do mine!!!!

Rick

Lisa Jayne

Post by Lisa Jayne » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:50 pm

I have just nipped over to the other side and had another look, Mike Satur, £14 ish, I think there may some on ebay as that was mentioned also. :)

Rick

Post by Rick » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:01 am

Excellent thanks!!!

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:49 am

Plastic plugs have been common on car radiators for more than 40 years.
If you cross thread the plastic plug when fitting it, then you buy a new plug. With a steel plug, then you buy a new radiator. In addition, if the plug/radiator corrode, then the boss in the radiator will come out with the plug attached. SS may not corrode, but the aluminium or brass will.
The rubber seal, on a plastic or steel plug, will deteriorate. Never try to over tighten a leaking joint, always remake it.
Stay plastic.
Geoff F.

Broon
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Post by Broon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:41 am

I have a how to on my website if anyone is inetrested

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~sur188/MGF/Alternator/
My MGF website = http://www.iain-brown.com

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:32 am

Broon wrote:I have a how to on my website if anyone is inetrested

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~sur188/MGF/Alternator/
But Lisa has AC which has a different set up. As Adrian says, simply release the tensioner wheel and adjust the jacking screw. The important detail is to have the correct tension. viz. Deflection of the belt with a 10kg load. Too many DIYers assume the tighter, the better causing alternator bearing failure ( or very expensive compressor bearing failure with AC).
Geoff. F