How to fit LED Halo DRLs to my TF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Jmh
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Re: How to fit LED Halo DRLs to my TF

Post by Jmh » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:32 pm

So pleased you don't have to go back to the drawing board!

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:32 pm

Do you think the circuit could be modified so that the DRLs would just dim while the respective indicator is set, ie without them flashing? I know this is how they work on Audis for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

fatbaldingoldgit
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Mykel wrote:Do you think the circuit could be modified so that the DRLs would just dim while the respective indicator is set, ie without them flashing?
The circuit is quite literally a black box so without ripping it apart it's difficult to say..if having the DRLs flash did fail the MOT then having them dim on the side that the indicator is flashing would be a good second prize..

I do like the way the Audis do that..

I can't see how I could accomplish that just fiddling with the wires..even with a relay or two..fortunately I don't have to unless they change the rules! :D
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:30 am

As you say though, disabling the indicator flash function should be straightforward? :)

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Oh yes..easy peasy...just disconnect the two wires from the control unit relay thingy to the indicators...
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:41 am

Oh nuts - I forgot to look at your car's DRLs on Saturday! D'oh!

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Another opportunity awaits on Sunday, Rob...assume you are attending?
- Frank Zappa

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:14 pm

I'll be on the Stowe circuit competing in the Sprint for most of Sunday - it usually finishes around 3 if you're still around? :)

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:36 pm

We'll probably still be around at 3....I'll PM my contact details...
- Frank Zappa

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Great - catch up with you then :D

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:36 pm

A quick follow up to this thread...just passed the MOT test with these DRLs....a clean pass, no advisories.... :D :D
- Frank Zappa

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:50 am

:thumbsu:

Mikeadman
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 2005

Re: ..and they would pass the MOT too!!!

Post by Mikeadman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:55 pm

fatbaldingoldgit wrote:I spoke to my local MOT tester today to check whether these lights would fail the MOT. He said that these kind of issues with after market DRLs are well known in MOT tester circles..in this case where the DRLs flash white although in sequence with the amber indicators (so an apparent MOT failure..because they don't flash amber) it would generate an advisory...but it would still pass the MOT..that was an official decision not a discretionary one.

He was very comfortable with how the DRLs operate and saw no real issue with their effect in reality..even though they contravened the letter of the MOT regs.

I'm pleased with that, obviously..coz I think they are just right as they are..and I don't really want to disable the indicator function. :D :D :D
Brilliant insight of how to, how are they now nearly eighteen months on, has anybody done the same to date.

Cheers

Mike 8-)