rotational noise from front

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
whicko
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: mgf18i

rotational noise from front

Post by whicko » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:52 am

hello every one can any one help I have a strange noise that seems to be coming from the nearside front on my mgf its a strange one doesn't sound metallic its more like you've got a flat tyre most noticeable at around 10 to 30 mph doesn't change in a straight line or around corners or breaking car drives fine its just an annoying wop wop noise any advise will be appreciated thanks col

hillhead
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Re: rotational noise from front

Post by hillhead » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:18 pm

Have you checked the tyre walls for bulges - could have flat spot.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:26 pm

That was my first thought too.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Especially on the inside edge as 1, you can't easily see it and 2, speed humps damage and break the inside wall as this is where the load is taken when straddling them.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

whicko

Post by whicko » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:35 pm

hi there no I havnt yet I will now though thanks for the heads up I thaught it might have been the near side bearing so I changed that but noise still there never thaught about tyres lol cheers col ill let you know the outcome thanks :sf:

whicko

Post by whicko » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:56 pm

tyres seem fine totally stumped :shutup:

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:42 pm

I have had the same issue for the last 18 months, suspect it is front tyres but can't see anything wrong and had the balance checked etc. It's worse on some road surfaces and almost not detectable on other. Passed two MoT's in this time.

alanrt
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2001 MGF 1.8i

Post by alanrt » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:00 am

I had the same issue except that it only happened when turning. Turned out the tyre was rubbing on the wheel arch liner. When I had my hydragas reset it went away.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:18 pm

If you lift the front of the car on a jack and turn the wheel, can you reproduce the sound?

whicko

Post by whicko » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:05 pm

hi there mine seems to be doing exactly the same as chris tidswells it is worse on some surfaces and cant hear it on others and you can only hear it at low speeds also just passed mot may be im missing something on the tyres cheers col :P

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Any play in the wheel bearing?

whicko

Post by whicko » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:31 pm

hello all many thanks for all your advice I looked at tyres they both seemed fine I decided to just replace the tyres any way just got back from the tyre shop and hey presto noise is gone many thanks to you all from a happy owner :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:47 pm

whicko wrote:hello all many thanks for all your advice I looked at tyres they both seemed fine I decided to just replace the tyres any way just got back from the tyre shop and hey presto noise is gone many thanks to you all from a happy owner :thumbsu:
Good news! There must have been a flat spot on the tyre (I've had this before where wheel lock lead to the tyre resembling a 50pence piece rather than the perfect circle it should have been! :lol:)

whicko

Post by whicko » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:10 pm

yes I thaught it was my near side front wheel bearing at first running dry changed it noise still there so I was a bit stumped as the tyres looked fine the car has only been doing a couple of hundred miles a year since 2008 till last year so I don't think that has done the tyres much good I think the tread may have started to come away from the steel belts internaly so they looked visually fine but the tyre structure was breaking down never mind got there in the end lol cheere col :sf: