What twit designed the window mech on the MGF?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

What twit designed the window mech on the MGF?

Post by Plezier » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Am about to lay into this damned door with the largest sledge i can lay my hands on :rant: .

While adjusting the window to get it to seal the water out something jumped and now the damned widow is jammed. It won't go up nor down more than about 20 mm and the front won't move down at all. Cannot see how to get the glass out so at this rate I will smash the door to bits and get another.

What should have been a straight forwards job has turned into a weekend of complete bloody nightmare.

Any suggestions before I get the sledge out?

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Re: What twit designed the window mech on the MGF?

Post by willyphixitt » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi Plezier,

It sounds as if the window stop has jumped past the adjustable stop on the inner skin of the door. Unbolting them should release the window assembly. Don't forget that the assembly ( dual knurled wedge shape plates) at the rear of the window lift mechanism will dramatically change the tilt of the glass - more so than the adustments at the bottom of the window channels. If you need to tweak the glass with these plates you will need to readjust the stops on the inner skin again as these plates change the stop position too. I'm going from memory here as it's quite a few years when I sorted out my leaks in my old F. That one now lives in France, I believe.

hth.

willyphixitt

willyphixitt

Post by willyphixitt » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Just an additional thought. When you try to lower the glass, pull the inner skin towards you so that the mechanism doesn't hit the stops fitted to the inner skin. If this fixes your problem I suggest you put a washer between the stop and the inner skin so that it's less likely to overide the stop in future.

I'm assuming your glass has jammed at the top. If that is not the case and has jammed part the way down I would suspect a chewed up window regulator.

hth

willyphixitt

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:17 am

Oh yes it's jammed at the top. Have got half the bolts on the regulator mechanism out now as I thought that removing it may be the only solution however as I cannot get at some of the fixing due to the glass position :rant: Am not sure which wedge plates your referring too! Have just been out and examined the offending door and window and yes your correct the glass stop has jumped the door stop. Once I get back, have to pop out on errands, I will have a go at it again now I am more informed and now know what the issue is.

Thank you for your help :thumbsu: .

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:09 pm

It appears that the window had jumped the stop. Git that srted so it would go down but no amount od adjusting would get the glass the close properly. Finally decided that the glass must be different so swapped the glass from the old 97 door into the MY2000 door and voila it adjust up to close properly. God only knows why this should be but there we have it.

willyphixitt

Post by willyphixitt » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:21 pm

F-WINDOW-ADJUST.jpg
Hi plezier,

Glad you're making progress. Weird about the need to change the glass. I attach a diagram for the adjustment of the glass. I was referring to steps G & H.

willyphixitt

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:28 pm

I cannot understand why the glass needed swapping but there it is. It now closes properly. The alarm is going off if locked. It seems that I need to swap over the door catch mechanism due to some micro switch ................................... I used to like this MGF you know :thumbsd: .

carlvk
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by carlvk » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:44 am

Ahh those simple jobs.... I'll just change the......... I have felt your pain. I'm quite good at taking doors apart now.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:30 am

carlvk wrote:Ahh those simple jobs.... I'll just change the......... I have felt your pain. I'm quite good at taking doors apart now.
Well despite the good weather yesterday I didn't touch "Blue 33" .................................. it had gotten to me so badly a match and some petrol seemed like a good idea at one point!

Am trying to work up the courage to go back into the door to swap the lock/latch over. Am not sure how I will get the lever operation rod off now with the lock barrel in place :? .