Mgf gear crank selector.

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
scruffygit
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Mgf gear crank selector.

Post by scruffygit » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:07 am

I'm replacing the gear cable ends at the gearbox end and I've managed to move the gear crank. There appears to be three horizontal and 3 vertical positions that the crank can be in. I want to make sure that the box is in neutral when I reconnect the cables. Does anybody happen to know which positioning is for neutral? I'm guessing that it may be the middle of the three on the vertical and horizontal positions but it would be good to know for sure. Ta in advance.

Sent from my DAGGER DG550 using Tapatalk

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: Mgf gear crank selector.

Post by Mykel » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:46 am

Neutral is when the shaft is in the middle position, ie not fully pulled out and not fully pushed in. The bell can’t be turned in either of the shaft’s two extreme positions, only when it’s sitting in the middle.the rotation is spring loaded as well to make it return to central automatically, this would be 3rd (pulled out) and 4th gear (pushed in).

I would actually refit and adjust the cable ends when the box is in third gear to make sure you don’t hit the fascia with the gear stick.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:17 am

Hi Mykel, thank you for your speedy reply. Think I understand! :-0

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:17 am

Hi Mykel, thank you for your speedy reply. Think I understand! :?