Rear end knock

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Dallas
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

Rear end knock

Post by Dallas » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:37 pm

Hi, I seem to have a slight knock at the rear when pulling away at slow speed, doesn't do it every time though.

Any ideas fellas.
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG
Born on 8th January 2002 @ 09:02:26
38th MG TF in BRG Pearlescent (code: HFF) to be made out of 3,353 BRG Pearlescent TFs
123rd MG TF 135 to be made out of 19,475
145th MG TF to run off the production line out of 41,656

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Rear end knock

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:47 pm

I assume this is on the TF in you signature.

Does it happen when the car is hot or when cold.

Does it depend upon being uphill or down hill etc

More details needed.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Dallas
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

Post by Dallas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:36 pm

I assume this is on the TF in you signature.
Hi Yes, TF 135 petrol manual.

Does it happen when the car is hot or when cold.
Hot and cold.

Does it depend upon being uphill or down hill etc
Happens on level ground, up hill yes.
Not tried down hill... Seems to only happen when I pull away.
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG
Born on 8th January 2002 @ 09:02:26
38th MG TF in BRG Pearlescent (code: HFF) to be made out of 3,353 BRG Pearlescent TFs
123rd MG TF 135 to be made out of 19,475
145th MG TF to run off the production line out of 41,656

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:53 am

Check out two areas:
1 The front bushes of the two trailing arms
2 Top engine mount on the right hand side adjacent to the cam-belt cover (you will need to take the engine cover off to see this).

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Tipper wrote:Check out two areas:
1 The front bushes of the two trailing arms
2 Top engine mount on the right hand side adjacent to the cam-belt cover (you will need to take the engine cover off to see this).
Good call.
I've just replaced the top reaction arm bushes and the nearside rubber engine mount. Not a pleasant or easy job as the engine is dressed on the subframe before the body is dropped onto it, and some of the bolts are difficult to reach/undo/ :evil: etc. I replaced the lower reaction arm on the sump some years ago, but shied away at the time of doing the top link. Many hours/ days later and skinned arms it was done.
I replaced compliance bushes at the front of the rear trailing arms 8 years ago with a one-off softer blue compound from Polybush and have been fine.

Another thing to check is the rubber exhaust doughnut to ensure the tailpipes are central in the rear plastic bumper.

The above thoughts can be done outside in the rain if required with an ordinary tool box :roll: :roll:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k