Your MG and the ULEZ

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Your MG and the ULEZ

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:00 pm

I don't know how many of you chaps are like me, living within the perimeter of the extended London ULEZ (encompassed within the north and south circular roads) - but many more will likely be effected by it as other city councils will doubtless copy London's lead :|

I've got a couple of years to fully work out my adaptive strategy to this extra tax - part of which will mean that one of my MGs will be reluctantly sold - our lovely MG ZTT. It's a CDTi of '03 Vintage - so no chance. The '27 M-type is vintage, so no problem. ;) The two '96 MGFs are right in the cross hairs of our beloved mayor's emission's gun sight :o :cry:

The 2004 ZR105 I have got to rebuild for my daughter to learn to drive in might, as it turns out, be in a grey zone...

The key is the NOx levels the cars were homologated with. The K-series is a remarkably clean engine - and it would seem that it tends to emit rather less than the 0.08g/km EU4 petrol/ EU6 diesel requirement :thumbsu:

All the literature states that unless your car was homologated to pass the EU4 petrol emissions target, you will be charged every time you drive your car, 24/7. BUT if your EU3 emissions certified petrol car emits less than that "magic" 0.08g/km (and many do, as it turns out), you will not be subject to the ULEZ charge.

I haven't been able to check all MGFs/TFs NOx levels (not easy to find on line), but there is a decent chance it'll be fine for the ULEZ.

Can you folks help? Check your V5: section V.3 will have the NOx levels. The 2003 TF 135 will pass according to the one V5 I have access to. This can then be verified by entering your registration number in the ULEZ registration checker website - https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... ecker-ulez

Would be good to check the lists - and hopefully prevent more MGs being senselessly scrapped for no reason! :thumbsu:

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Your MG and the ULEZ

Post by colintf » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:32 pm

Checked online using your link Rob. 2004 TF 160 seems ok :) even the V8 seems ok :D

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:46 pm

No problems for me at the moment, but the availability (or lack of it) of non E10 95 unleaded for the F is becoming a worry. Is there any feedback on how much E10 can be used in a 97 F before it starts causing problems?

Further afield, my son and his family live in Stuttgart and there they have introduced a City wide ban on all Euro 4 diesels (and older) so my trips up there in the Uber Barge are looking dodgy. It's a 2001 E220 CDi. Nice clean car and I'm buggered if I'm going to sell or scrap it. I've had it from new.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:19 pm

This is our beloved ZTT on hols in Spain last year - again way too good to send to the crushers - owned since 18 months old (formerly of the MG Rover management fleet):
AC2C36D1-5FFD-4ACC-8056-566A211CE7E4.jpeg

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:20 pm

Needed a bit of a clean after driving 2,000 miles ;)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:20 pm

Turns out the ZR105 is clean enough... :D

Green Squirrel
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 am

Living in Woolwich puts us outside the zone by about 200 metres! And both cars are liable --- That is our 1996 MGF and 2011 Discovery 4 :evil:
Last edited by Green Squirrel on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

quick_spider
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by quick_spider » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:37 am

I was surprised when I check that my TF is okay (135, MY2005)
My two diesel VW’s aren’t (no surprise there really)

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:44 am

For interest, I put in the Reg numbers of my previous cars, all of which I know are still on the road.
The '98 plate MGF VVC does not comply
The '03 plate TF160 complies
The '10 plate NAC TF complies
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:06 pm

Reckless Rat wrote:No problems for me at the moment, but the availability (or lack of it) of non E10 95 unleaded for the F is becoming a worry. Is there any feedback on how much E10 can be used in a 97 F before it starts causing problems?
I've driven my '95 F over 30,000 miles, using nothing but E10, and I have seen no ill effects; it has caused no problems that I am aware of.
Mark

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:01 pm

So my 32 year old Audi coupe and my evo 5 will get hammered because there is no data for them, therefore guilty.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks for the data chaps :D

I wonder whether all K16 engines manufactured after Jan 2001 will be ULEZ compliant? No MG Rover diesel will be compliant though, sadly :(

Annoying that pre-2001 MGFs will be penalized; it would not be too difficult to change them to a later homologation specification. I wonder whether we could get cars through that way?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:13 pm

I wonder whether E10 fuel deserves another thread? Ethanol has a habit of eating through plastics and especially rubber. There is not a huge amount of rubber in the MGF/TF fuel system - mostly metal, a couple of semi-rigid plastic pipes but there is a rubber hose to the fuel rail from the fuel filter. If there is going to be trouble, it will be there...

IIRC K-series in London taxis were E85 certified?

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:09 pm

Rob Bell wrote:.... There is not a huge amount of rubber in the MGF/TF fuel system - mostly metal, a couple of semi-rigid plastic pipes but there is a rubber hose to the fuel rail from the fuel filter....
I bet there are o-rings in the fuel system too!

I had a massive fuel leak over the top of my engine on my recently acquired ZS 180 caused by rotted o-rings. I suspect too they may have been changed to the wrong material anyway as many suppliers I talked too didn't seem to know the difference and certainly didn't know what correct material, Viton, was!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm

That's very true! I am trying to recall the whole fuel system when I had it all apart for Project Shed. My guess is that there are O-rings at the releasable fuel connectors. There are also O-rings on the fuel pressure regulator and on the input side of the fuel rail. The electronic parts catalogue is always a good place to start for this - although the EPC is generally not so good at providing the critical dimensions!

From Dieter's website:

Note that there are more sections of rubber hose than I remembered! D'oh! :oops: