No life in my 1996 MGF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Portrush
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

No life in my 1996 MGF

Post by Portrush » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:25 am

My 1996 MGF has just stopped working, it won’t start nor will the central door locking. The drivers door lock was making a running on noise not click click noise after activation so I changed it and now the central door locking has stopped and the car seems to be immobilised ( it won’t start and there is no red light on dash to signify alarm function).
I’m lost for what to do as central locking not working and I don’t have eka code. The car has only 39000 original miles and has a good history file and has in the last month a new timing belt, water pump and head gasket ( just as a preventive measure) and a full service. The car drives like a new car when going.
Please can anyone shed any light on what the issues could be.
I have changed fob keys to new battery and it has good voltage so not that. The key will not activate the central door locks either with old lock or replacement from MGObsession.
Please help.

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Re: No life in my 1996 MGF

Post by Roverlike » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:33 pm

Have you checked fuse nuber 3 in under bonnet fuse box and possibly replace it?

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:16 pm

Have you resynced the fob by pressing unlock several times?
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:18 pm

Does the boot unlock?
If so you can open the bonnet and check the main battery isn't low or flat and is connected properly.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com