TF Drivers side Window

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

TF Drivers side Window

Post by Andrew Regens » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:02 am

Used the TF for the first time in a while, pressed the drivers side window switch, window went down smoothly BUT wont go back up. Tried the passenger side switch I thought a Fuse. That worked. Looked at the fuses and saw that they have seperat fuses for left and right. Swapped them over and the passenger side works.
Any thoughts before I take the door card off
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: TF Drivers side Window

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:28 pm

If the car has been "resting" for a bit, my first thought is the dash switch. A bit of spray cleaning might help, I can't remember if the rocker part can be carefully removed or not for better access. Sometimes you can work out how it clicked together, careful small tools can help if the plastic is warm.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:18 pm

I would do the voltage checks first but I can’t help thinking it is likely to be a relay in the Pektron SCU https://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk ... formation/

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:13 am

Have checked the switch which seems fine. Every thing else would seem to work and my problem seems to be in the Pectron SCU.
Thats going to be my next task sorting that out. ZMoving forward slowly...
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:07 am

Well after a long wait , postage takes ages our end due to COVID and as I am useless at any thing electronic my son in law was roped in. Well he came through and the window works.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:14 am

Good old Pektron relays, playing their cheeky tricks again... :roll:

Glad it is now sorted Andrew! :)

christianphillips
MGF Register Region: United States of America

Post by christianphillips » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:42 pm

Apologies for reviving this thread, but I wanted to share my two cents. Before you dive into the door card territory, maybe double-check the wiring connections? Could be a loose wire causing the driver's side glitch. Also, you might want to consider checking if all the spare parts are snugly in place. Speaking from experience, I actually had a similar hiccup a while back. Decided to tackle it myself and ended up ordering some top-notch screws and fasteners from Scrooz. Gotta say the quality was spot on, and they did the job perfectly. Long story short, my window's sailing smoothly now.
Last edited by christianphillips on Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:16 pm

It is interesting how, on the Mk 2 TFs, it is only the driver's side window that is controlled by the Pekton ECU. This is just to provide the 'one touch' feature. If this is problematic and the one touch feature is not something to lose sleep over then it would be quite straightforward to wire it more directly as that is the way it is done for the passenger side