gear cable abutment clip - LOST

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

gear cable abutment clip - LOST

Post by RobboMC » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:48 am

Last weekend I lost the gear cable clip from under the gearbox. Fortunately I was able to tour home in 4th gear
which was the gear it was in at the time.

I have some replacements; has anyone taken steps to make sure the clip can't wiggle loose???
like drilling and wiring.

Or does the Mike Satur Bell Crank replacement kit mean the clips are no longer needed?

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Re: gear cable abutment clip - LOST

Post by mowog73 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:44 pm

Mike's bell crank assembly still requires the use of the clips.

One one of our Fs when we bought I found that the clip was missing from one gear cable and in its place was a length of copper wire in the cable end's groove and a jubilee clip holding the wire in place. The copper wire was of suitable diameter that the cable couldn't slip out of the bracket and the jubilee clip kept the wire in the groove, a very ingenious solution I thought.
Mark

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:07 pm

Those clips are pretty reliable - if your's has got slack, a little bending might help. Mine normally need a little light tap to locate properly. I also blob a couple of coats of black paint on the clip to sort of stop it wandering.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:33 am

mgtfnut wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:07 pm
Those clips are pretty reliable -
This does not make me feel any better, 8 years on the road covering thousands of miles and it decided to go missing
on the main straight at a track day. Finding the old clip will be impossible.