Oil change frequency - low summer mileage only

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
C-J
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1998 Abingdon vv

Oil change frequency - low summer mileage only

Post by C-J » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:04 pm

Apologies for the dull and dumb question...

I have always changed the oil and filter annually when doing 1k - 2k per year using a decent filter and Magnatec 10w40.

However as my mileage has shrunk to maybe 200 to 300 miles per year (only a few runs out, majority 30 miles+ so up to temperature), is it overkill to change annually? Or would every 2-3 years be ok?

Does the oil really degrade significantly and increase engine wear or affect seals?

Having looked after the car and engine I don't want the thing to implode (unlikely I know) - and the question is partly driven by increasing oil cost (I'll be spending more annually on oil than petrol!), but also as disposing of 4.5 litres of hardly used oil just feels wrong.

Interested to know what others with low use garage queens do?

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: Oil change frequency - low summer mileage only

Post by Notanumber » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:57 pm

Every 2 to 3 years should be fine at that mileage. Good modern oils only tend to break down with mileage, not age.

The most cost effective preventative maintenance on any F /TF is to fit a low coolant level alarm if you haven't done so already.