EPAS cuts out while manoeuvering

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
MGF74
MGF Register Region: Europe

EPAS cuts out while manoeuvering

Post by MGF74 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:27 pm

Hello,

my EPAS on my '98 F has been acting funny for years. Most of the time it's fine, i.e. when I'm driving at speed, but when I turn the steering wheel back and forth too much at standstill or while manoeuvering at low speed (~ 1-2 mph), it cuts out completely and the EPAS light in the dash comes on. Just before it cuts out, I can feel the steering getting "heavier", and then it's gone. When I then turn off the engine and restart it, the EPAS works normally again. And just pulling out of a parking space in one go also doesn't trigger it.

Is this a common fault? And how do I fix it?

- MGF74
'98 MGF 1.8i MPI (weekend/summer/fun car)
'99 Audi A4 1.8T saloon (daily driver)

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Re: EPAS cuts out while manoeuvering

Post by Deepfat » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:13 pm

viewtopic.php?t=25172#:~:text=Check%20y ... fixes%20it.
I'm hoping this turns into a link when I post if not its copy and paste time, it has some suggestions on what to check etc

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: EPAS cuts out while manoeuvering

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:08 am

Good link suggestion there - it has everything I was going to suggest (particularly the "70 Amp" fuse holder).

If you have a Pscan, you can also read the ECU fault codes and look to see what it is doing with live data, which may well give some additional helpful clues, but otherwise, the first step is keep it simple: check and clean all connections: the system is, in general, extremely reliable.