TF stiff gearchange

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
itsonlyme54
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

TF stiff gearchange

Post by itsonlyme54 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:44 pm

I bought an 04 TF yesterday, its been well maintained but has only been travelling 1-2k a year for the last few years. The gear stick is very stiff, could this be cables, can they be lubricated , or should I look elsewhere ?

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: TF stiff gearchange

Post by Notanumber » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 am

This has come up a few times over the years. It's worth using the Search feature on this forum and also checking the How Tos on the other.

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Re: TF stiff gearchange

Post by EllsoJo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:38 pm

Notanumber's reply is advice well worth following, but IMO, there are 4 possible reasons for a stiff gearchange:
1. Dirt entering the gear linkages and swivels near the gearbox. The gaiters on mine had failed (see first picture) and the swivel joints had black, filthy grease/dirt mix.
Linkage before new gaiters
Linkage before new gaiters
2. Wear or misalignment problems at gearlever end. Not tackled this area myself, but Mike Satur does an improved set-up for that area.
3. Very old gearbox oil and/or lack of sufficient gearbox oil. I changed mine and gear shifting was much better as a result. Unless you are SURE this has been done in the last couple of years, it is overdue for a change anyway. I think MG Rover recommended gearbox oil change every 7 years??
4. A failing/frayed gearbox cable, which is binding in it's sleeve. Quite difficult to change apparently, unless the subframe & engine are out, because they go through a bulkhead just in front of the subframe. If you pop the swivels off, it is easy to then check the freedom/or level of friction in these cables. Swivels go back on after cleaning & new Lithium grease, quite easily. The swivels can be unscrewed and cleaned after they are popped off the ball. If you find proper rose joints at the gearbox end, someone has already fitted the other Mike Satur gear-change mod.
Standard OEM swivel with traces of old grease
Standard OEM swivel with traces of old grease