Electric door mirror upgrade?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
jethro
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: 1.8i

Electric door mirror upgrade?

Post by jethro » Thu May 21, 2009 10:56 pm

Has any one upgraded their standard mirrors for a pair of electric ones?

Dell
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: Trophy160 Bug Magnet

Re: Electric door mirror upgrade?

Post by Dell » Fri May 22, 2009 8:41 pm

Yep ;)
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that this is true.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue May 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Yep again, Kasper has just done it too.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

raymond.harper
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by raymond.harper » Tue May 26, 2009 5:32 pm

jethro

Post by jethro » Tue May 26, 2009 11:25 pm

Thanks Raymond.Will they be a straight swap onto the doors? and what about switches and wiring etc. anyone?
Cheers1

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Wed May 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Fitting the new mirrors on the door is a straight forward job. Just two screws and you are able to switch. The triangle in the door has a cut in the "rubber" where the handle was.
Then you need a new cowl for your instruments that holds the extra switch for the mirror movement.

As a third you will need a wiring loom. this is the hard part as they are not sold as a separate item. So my mirrors are still hand operated Mk2 mirrors.

A couple of hours spare time will be needed to solder a wiring loom according to the wiring diagram.

In the past B&G used to have a complete replacement kit, unfortunately they did not have it available any more at my requests in December, January and February. So I decided to buy mirrors and cowl at separate occasions.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

jethro

Post by jethro » Wed May 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Thanks Kasper. Just what I needed to know.
Thanks all! :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Should be very easy to replicate the loom - especially if there is a pattern to draw from. Perhaps we should get it made - but as ever, it depends on demand?

jethro

Post by jethro » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:03 pm

The loom idea is a good one, especially if we had a pattern like you suggest. would it be a plug in job? i.e are the connections already buried in the dash?