electric window problems

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: electric window problems

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:00 am

cymrumark73 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:30 am
Both my windows dont work. I’ve checked the pull out fuses and all are ok. What are the other fuses and could it be one of the yellow relay fuses
This could be many things - and the options may depend on how they failed (did they both suddenly stop working together) and the age of the car, as there are some wiring differences with each generation of the MGF/TF.

A couple of other failure modes:
1. blown fuse - in my case, I discovered this when I knocked a driver's mirror on one of those gladiatorial interaction with an approaching SUV on a road that was way too narrow many moons ago. This is unlikely here, as you have checked all the fuses already.
2. Internal switch corrosion - the internal copper tracks can oxidise over time, leading to one or even two faulty window switches. Again, this is unlikely if both windows stopped working at the exact same time.

From Dieter's website, the wiring diagram from an early MGF is below. Later cars have a few differences, but the fundamental architecture is the same: