electric window problems

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
rachaelk
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: 1.8i

electric window problems

Post by rachaelk » Wed May 26, 2010 9:28 pm

me again :D my pass side window has decided to call it a day, ive had a good look and its not the switch as ive swapped them over and it works, do you think it could be the regulator, i wouldnt mind but ive just had that done in my landrover lol

thanks guys

Matt Parker
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: electric window problems

Post by Matt Parker » Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 pm

The most likely fault will be the window regulator motor, but before you go about replaceing it check your fuse as it may just be a blown fuse, if thats ok then you can strip the door down and check/replace the motor. With the door panel off disconnect the wiring harness plug for the motor and test for power with a multi-meter for the power supply, and then to test the motor using a spare battery or 2 long bits of wire from the battery power up the motor dirrect to test it.
Matt.

MGF 1.9 T/b 200bhp
MGZS 1.8 Turbo 220bhp
MGTF 180
MG Metro mk1 Pickup 180 VVC
Rover 118vvc GTi
MGTF 135 Project car
Rover Metro GTi VVC Track car

rachaelk
Model of Car: 1.8i

Post by rachaelk » Thu May 27, 2010 7:59 am

thanks for the reply, the reason i havent touched the fuse is that surely it cant be that if its just 1 window thats stopped operating i thought the windows were on the same fuse, i am going to double check then get yet another window reg :evil:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu May 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Certainly worth checking the fuse; it's the easiest and cheapest part to replace! But I suspect you're right - blown fuse will usually result in loss of both windows, and also the heated door mirror elements.

If the window is not revived by swapping over the switches, then it does point to a problem with the motor, the mechanism or the wiring loom.

If there is no noise, no movement of the motor and assuming that the motor is not getting warm, then this suggests that the lift mechanism is not jamming, and the problem is likely to be electrical rather than mechanical. Indeed, if there is no power reaching the motor, then it is the loom that is failing - perhaps as it passes into the door (fractured and/or shorting wire?) A multimeter/circuit tester will be helpful here. Or you can do as Matt suggests - wire up the motor directly to the battery and see whether the motor then works... or not.

Matt Parker
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Matt Parker » Thu May 27, 2010 10:58 pm

there is a fuse for each window, I had a TF in with the passenger window stuck down, at first I thought it would be either a faulty window mech or the SCU but after checking the switch and then stripping the door panel off and having no power anywhere I thought I'd just check the fuse and there it was, simple 15amp fuse had blown lol :)
Matt.

MGF 1.9 T/b 200bhp
MGZS 1.8 Turbo 220bhp
MGTF 180
MG Metro mk1 Pickup 180 VVC
Rover 118vvc GTi
MGTF 135 Project car
Rover Metro GTi VVC Track car

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri May 28, 2010 9:57 am

Absolutely right Matt - fuses 4 and 5 for RH and LH window lifts :) Surprisingly, I don't think this is a problem that occurs all that frequently, but an overloaded motor due to a sticking window lift could certainly draw sufficient power to blow a 15A fuse :)

jld
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by jld » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Got a similar problem on my TF. Drivers side window will go down in 'one shot' mode, and will not go up. Motor is OK (works well with external 12v supply) and switch ok (swapped with passenger side).

Any ideas?

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:06 pm

I would suspect the BCU, depending on model year this is either the little box under the carpet just ahead of the drivers door, or part of the well known Pektron BCU behind the centre console.

jld

Post by jld » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:28 pm

thanks for that Stan. Guess its behind the centre console (its an 04 reg) as there's nothing behind the carpet.

Now just to work out how to get to it and what to do about it (will it need replacing and does this cause other problems)

Stan_B

Post by Stan_B » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:57 pm

If you can live without the one shot do what I did, bypass the BCU run 2 wires from the door to the switch, you need a 12v as well. It appears that the Pektron relies on earthing one or t'other wire from the switch to command the motor.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:39 am

redarrow wrote:needs a new window motor.

my opinion, cheap on ebay.
might as well buy a whole car just in case the other one goes as well!
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi jld,

I've just posted my findings (here) yesterday. One half of a dual relay module had failed. I swapped this with the washerer pump relay and got everything working. Hope my experience helps.

willyphixitt

jld

Post by jld » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:31 pm

I'll try that,not had much time past few days but long weekend coming up. Thanx

Stan_B

Post by Stan_B » Fri May 20, 2011 11:03 pm

This made me put mine right, I was surprised how easy it was to fix the SCU. You only need to take one closing panel off. The passenger footwell is easiest. The 2 halves of the case just ping apart , i used 2 flat bladed screwdrivers. You need a solder sucker and reasonable iron. I was able to borrow both and took the PCB in the Fiat to do the work. I did get some help from a pro to get the old relay out. I got the new relay indirectly from Technozen on .org You can see its a different source to the suspect OE fit. Refitting was easy, I plugged up the 2 sockets on the OS then fiddled the 2 on the NS in once the SCU was in place. I reused the original bolt, it has an unthreaded starter section to make re-fitting easier. i just cut a screwdriver slot across it while it was out. I now have one touch down again :D
Interestingly the drivers window wasnt the only dud relay, one coil was open on the washer pump relay so i wonder if someone else has swapped them around before? The last but one pic is "borrowed" from .org and it shows which is which. It was vital for me, otherwise with 2 open coils i wouldnt have known which to swap.
Finally , maybe we should have a "how to" sub forum, an idea shamelessly lifted form another site.

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Sat May 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Glad to see you've got your SCU fixed, Stan.

A good soldering iron and good solder sucker is the key to success here.

willyphixitt

Fiddler
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Fiddler » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Fuse 6 seems to be the secret one... mine gone replace ok for Windows
Unplug engine bay fan and kick start with 30a Fuse just a blip to get going
Spray penetrating oil might help.then fit proper rated Fuse 15a

cymrumark73
MGF Register Region: South Wales

Post by cymrumark73 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:30 am

Both my windows dont work. I’ve checked the pull out fuses and all are ok. What are the other fuses and could it be one of the yellow relay fuses

MGDave
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Post by MGDave » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:20 pm

My TF stopped working on the drivers side. Had my BCU repaired and that solved the problem only for the problem to come back a month later. Auto electrician eventually found the fault in the press together connector in the door. He by passed this and problem appears to have been resolved.

Could be either or for your problem but the connector by-pass is by far the cheapest....

davidb

Post by davidb » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:39 pm

For what it’s worth, my windows stopped working when the engine bay fan seized as they’re on the same fuse (6 if memory serves). Agree with the post above that unplugging the engine bay fan (not radiator fan) and replacing fuse 6 is a good test. Went through many 10A fuses before I realised!!

Haven’t yet decided whether using the windows as an indicator that the engine bay fan is toast is lunacy or genius!

Notanumber
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:45 pm

I had exactly the same problem as David. The passenger side window suddenly stopped working during the MOT. It took a while to track down. Fuse 6 solved it. The root cause was a defective engine bay fan motor as this is on the same fuse.
The engine bay fan is rarely actuated in normal use so this isn't something that will happen every week. In my instance the duff fan wasnt blowing the fuse immediately, only after the fan had been actuated for around a minute that it blew the fuse.
Taking the old fan motor out of service and replacing fuse 6 kept the passenger window working fine and as soon as it arrived a good 2nd hand replacement engine bay fan from 'Bitz' finished the job.
Last edited by Notanumber on Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.