Vehicle Safety Recall MG Motor MGTF (16 March 2011)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Vehicle Safety Recall MG Motor MGTF (16 March 2011)

Post by Keith Williams » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:41 pm

recall notice for MGTF from MG Motor UK. This does NOT apply to Fs or TFs built/sold by MG Rover.

An issue was identified in the suspension set up of a new MGTF. Review suggested it was a one off component specification issue. Another was subsequently found at a dealership. Checking and repairing the car should take 1 - 3 hours. Courtesy car should be provided.
Issued by Keith Harris 16 March 2011.

RC002 v1.02.pdf
Recall notice 16th March 2011
(445.64 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Ralph
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: Rover 420 T16 turbo

Re: Vehicle Safety Recall MG Motor MGTF (16 March 2011)

Post by Ralph » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

tanamana
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: TF LE500 - no. 60

Post by tanamana » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Oh crap - I wonder if anyone from Sewards will contact me about this. At all. Ever. :|

In any event, I have emailed Mr H again.
Happiness is a cool car *

internet@mgfregister.org
Twitter - @origato
Facebook - The MGF Register

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Keith,

That's really helpful :) I've had the recall letter from MG Motor UK on Thursday and checked with Keith Harris to see if this recall applied to the 85ths (as I was aware that the earlier recall didn't as the 85th has different suspension). Keith advised that it was all TFs built from 2008. I spoke to the dealer to book ours in for inspection and they were unable to do so as they hadn't received full details of the check/work they had to undertake. Now you've posted the full technical detail I'll be able to check for a yellow dot tomorrow!

Nigel
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

MGFmad
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: TF LE500 No27

Post by MGFmad » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:00 pm

I wonder if the yellow dot is more for future reference to act as an easy reference when this recall has been carried out rather than any cars having this dot just now?

Thankfully mine has the stainless rivets and sandwich construction on the bottom arms so should be OK

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Is it just me, or is the wishbone in figure 2 (and figure 3b) the same as the lower wishbone on all pre-NAC/SIAC era MGFs/TFs?
Lower wishbone images
Lower wishbone images
lower_wishbone_small.JPG (26.06 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:09 pm

That's spooky.

In 2008 I seam welded two new wishbones before Polybushing and slotting/fitting nuts and bolts to the lower ball joint holes to get the camber right.
Camber checked last week and it's held up fine.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 am

Keith Williams wrote:recall notice for MGTF from MG Motor UK. This does NOT apply to Fs or TFs built/sold by MG Rover.

An issue was identified in the suspension set up of a new MGTF. Review suggested it was a one off component specification issue. Another was subsequently found at a dealership. Checking and repairing the car should take 1 - 3 hours. Courtesy car should be provided.
Issued by Keith Harris 16 March 2011.

RC002 v1.02.pdf
That PDF makes a real meal of it!

Assuming that is due to a chinese sourced part rather than UK it's indicative of many so called quality items from China imho. If it's a UK part then they should be sent to China!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:48 pm

I wonder the same thing! The 'good part' appears to be the same as has always been fitted to Rover Group/ MG Rover MGFs and TFs. The inferior one appears to be a cheaper copy, with no prizes awarded for guessing where they were sourced.

I suspect that earlier "New Journey" TFs were using up old stock MG Rover parts, and hence are not part of the recall.

But to put some perspective on this - the rest of the NJ TFs appear very well built (paint issues aside), and the Chinese sourced parts appear, broadly, to be an equal to the UK specc'd items used previously. Therefore I don't think that there is any need just yet to start rebuilding NJ TFs with older MGR parts! ;)