Turn signal clips broken

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Turn signal clips broken

Post by mowog73 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:21 pm

Yesterday morning I was up early to install the euro-spec headlights. I found all the screws and bolts eventually to take the front bumper off. All went well until I went to reinstall the front turn signals and the plastic clip that bends to get the light out broke on both. Now both lights have electrical tape across the front across the lights and the bumper holding them in place.

Anyone have a solution, other than buying new turn signals? I tryed epoxy but it didn't work (didn't think it would).
Mark

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: Turn signal clips broken

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Yep, happens all the time. You needed to heat them up to make the plastic pliable but never mind apply a couple of good bundles of silicon to the mating surfaces and push them in, they'll stay there for ever, I know I done it on my F, stayed in place for years.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:44 pm

There was a good solution, maybe on MGRover.org, where somebody drilled a picture hook and used a self tapper to attach the (better) new clip to the indicator body!

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:25 pm

One of our German forum members had a nice way to repare the indicator tabs, yet unfortunately his server seems to be down at the moment. Will post the link here when it's up again.

@Adrian: the silicon is a good idea ... until the bulb blows. :lol:
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Dell
Model of Car: Trophy160 Bug Magnet

Post by Dell » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:50 pm

The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that this is true.

Dieter K
Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Post by Dieter K » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:42 pm

Yup, that's quite similar to the other solution Mykel mentioned above. (Site still down)

There was used a speed nut (German Blechmutter) with size 10x15 mils and bend to suit the indicator housing.
http://www.autoteile-plauen.de/artikel-859.htm > the look of such nut.
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Mykel wrote:One of our German forum members had a nice way to repare the indicator tabs, yet unfortunately his server seems to be down at the moment. Will post the link here when it's up again.

@Adrian: the silicon is a good idea ... until the bulb blows. :lol:
Michael, no problem. When I took my bumper off for stone chip repairs you just prise the lens out (screwdriver, cloth and gaffer tape) and clean the old stuff off and replace with fresh. Never moved again in years until I sold the car.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks guys. I"m going to give the speed nut solution a try first.
Mark

Dieter K
Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Post by Dieter K » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:50 pm

mowog73 wrote:Thanks guys. I"m going to give the speed nut solution a try first.
Site from Thorsten is back online now. :thumbsu:
http://www.mgf-roadster.de/blinkerfaq.php
Push it to google translation if required, but I think the pictures there speak themself.
The nut needs to get bent open to about 45° angle in order to give space for the screw and to provide enough spring force.
Give it some heat for easier bending, but do not red heat.
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Dieter K wrote:
mowog73 wrote:Thanks guys. I"m going to give the speed nut solution a try first.
The nut needs to get bent open to about 45° angle in order to give space for the screw and to provide enough spring force. Give it some heat for easier bending, but do not red heat.
I tried the speed nut solution last night and it seems to be working very well, a very simple solution.

Thanks

Mark
Mark