TF playing up...

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
GazSuttonUK
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG BGT+MG TF+MG ZR

TF playing up...

Post by GazSuttonUK » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:05 pm

TF has not been used much since Xmas...
Been out in it this morning(65 miles) and it is playing up, seems very slugish and wont excelerate then suddenly it will be ok and drive normally for some miles and and then be slugish again..
Last year I did the Head Gasket(and Oil Rail), new coolant pump,belt and tensioner, spark plugs and leads, oil and filter and OAT coolant..
No Fault Lights and no Fault Codes on my Scangauge......Any ides?Cheers.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: TF playing up...

Post by Mykel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Hmm, must be something that is not monitored by the ECU. Given the temperatures since Christmas, my first guess would be air and fuel filter. I also thought of some condensation around the spark plugs/ignition coils leading to misfires, but this would have been recorded with a fault code.

Any signs of HGF by the way? Like coolant escaping into the cylinders or a smell of exhaust gases from the expansion tank?
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

GazSuttonUK

Post by GazSuttonUK » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:46 pm

No signs of HGF, coolant staing at same level....

Do Coil Packs play up or do they just not work?

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Afaik they just fail. Also I think any coil failure would be recorded in the fault memory. When my ecu went bananas due to several broken wires to sensors and coils, the testbook found dozens of errors.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

petestrop
Model of Car: 2003 MGTF STEPSPEED

Post by petestrop » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Coil packs can play up and lead to intermittent loss of power/misfires. Not sure if it registers as a fault but did not put the engine warning light on when it happened to mine.

GazSuttonUK

Post by GazSuttonUK » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:59 pm

I'll try the coil packs off the ZR at the weekend and see what happens.
Thanks for your help :thumbsu:

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:05 pm

I do hope that sorts it out Gary 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

GazSuttonUK

Post by GazSuttonUK » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:07 pm

Cheers Colin :thumbsu:

GazSuttonUK

Post by GazSuttonUK » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Update:-I suspected it might of been a coil pack playing up, so today swopped the coil packs off the ZR and fitted them to the TF together with some new spark plugs....
Took the car out and tested but it is exactly the same, got home and noticed the idle speed was a bit erratic(850 - 960 rpm).....left if running for a few minutes and the revs evened out at about 930 rpm....
Then the engine light came on, checked with my 'Scangauge' and it shows a PO170 Fault code which is Fuel Trim Malfunction(Bank 1).
Cheers....

Bandit
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Post by Bandit » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Fuel Trim Malfunction codes indicate a problem with the ratio of fuel to air, so the suspects would be the sensors that monitor air, fuel & exhaust gases. MEMS3 ought to be both illuminating the 'check engine' light and logging a fault code if the lambda sensor is giving an intermittent or out-of-spec reading, so I'd start with the the airflow sensors. This being the damp time of year it's worth starting with pulling off the connectors to every sensor, inspect for any oxidation on the copper contacts & remove if found, sluice out with electrical contact spray (even if no oxidation evident) and re-connecting. Statistically it's more likely to be a bad connection on a sensor than a failed sensor, if I had a pound for every time a sensor has been replaced only to find it was a poor connection / wiring issue... :evil: