GRP panels bonnet wings boot lid

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
Jaffacakekilla
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

GRP panels bonnet wings boot lid

Post by Jaffacakekilla » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Just seeing if there is any interest in replacement panels

I have been discussing this on another forum to se if there is anyone wanting them, and thought I would post on here also.

I have no input into this by the way, I am just looking for some myself and have found someone to produce them if enough people are intersted.

brgmg
MGF Register Region: South East

Re: GRP panels bonnet wings boot lid

Post by brgmg » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:51 pm

As per the other forum - I am!

Jaffacakekilla

Post by Jaffacakekilla » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:02 pm

:D

cheers

I don't know how many orders are needed to make it worth while him making the moulds, but there seem to be a fair few people interested.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:07 pm

Consider me interested :)

Jaffacakekilla

Post by Jaffacakekilla » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:04 am

I thought that there would be a lot more interest from the other forum, but so far not many paople have put them selves forward.

I have been contacted by the guy who makes the panels, and I might be taking my bonnet down to him for him to make a mould, or buck, or what ever its called.

Not sure where the guy lives yet, so may be a long journey.

Anyway, it looks like the bonnet may be a goer to begin with.

Then once thats made, if there is enough intesrest in that, I would have thought he would do other panels.

I suppose he doesn't want to put too much time into it, if he only sells a couple.

I will keep you posted on any progress

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:58 pm

I contacted Smith and Deakin last year - they were very interested in making moulds and manufacturing standard MGF panels in GRP. But they weren't interested in the 200HPD style bonnet I was also keen on having reproduced - but if I were to fund the mould, they would manufacture for me...

Unfortuantely, all my savings are currently invested in our house at the moment, but S&D could present someone with an opportunity to kick start this project. Moreover, I believe that there is significant latent interest in GRP panels - particular among those who compete or track their MGs.

Who are you planning to use Jaffa?

Jaffacakekilla

Post by Jaffacakekilla » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:21 pm

looks likely now that the bonnet will be the 200hpd design when complete.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:13 am

Makes sense. I'd also tried to get one of the GRP ebay retailers interested in this project - the one who makes the side scoops for the the MGF. He was very interested, but I suspect that he's innundated with other projects, and we're no further forward.

Would be interested in the 200HPD bonnet if/when it becomes available - what is the unit price looking like? My other option is to make something myself as a one off - likely very similar to what Matt Parker has done to his F (which was at Fest this year) - see picture below:
Attachments
DSC00135.JPG
DSC00135.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1172 times

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:40 pm

There is a bloke in Belgium who has this same bonnet but without the holes. (as just visual tuning).

I guess this one has cut out the openings by himself. Now just find a good way to get rid of the water after a shower ;)
I'll have a browse to trace a picture.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:40 am

There are a few bonnets like this around Kasper. I recall that there was a chap from Greece (IIRC) who had fitted a functioning vent some years ago. It was on the xpower forum - and I am sure that the archives are still there.

There are plenty of GRP bonnet vents - probably more for Japanese performance cars - but are generic and could be fitted successfully into an MGF or TF bonnet. But most people won't have the body working skills to carry out successfully, and would therefore prefer to buy an off the shelf panel and get it sprayed up as a replacement for the standard item.

I'd prefer light weight GRP - as I want to fit it to project Shed :thumbsu:

brgmg

Post by brgmg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:32 pm

I am particularly keen for a grp bonnet and grp tf bootlid. Dont think many of the motorsport F owners would be too keen on the 200 HPD bonnet as that would put them into race specials class. I am happy to fund initial (reasonable) set up costs for good quality grp bonnets and boot lids if someone could pm me the details of a reliable GRP contractor. Rob, do you want to chat about it?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:46 pm

No problem Marc. Interestingly, S&D weren't talking about anything significant in terms of financial investment for GRP panels (unless we were talking about the 200HPD inspired panel) - they're just after an original panel to take molds from. And of course, I happen to have a 'spare' bonnet and a couple of doors that they could use. I do have a GRP TF boot lid, but sadly, it's not in the best condition, so would not be a good starting point for a new panel - but I'd have thought it would be possible to get hold of one?

The main fly-in-the-ointment is their location relative to mine. Birmingham is quite a trip when you're time-poor (as well as cash-poor at the moment!!!)

brgmg

Post by brgmg » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Rob, I'm happy to buy a TF bootlid from fleabay as a mould. But we'd need a van to get it, your bonnet and the doors up to S&D. Am happy to fund that too and (hopefully) recoup the cost through sale of the grp panels. I even have a lock up where they could be stored if S&D not happy to do so! Maybe we should have a chat about logistics!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Good idea Marc. Would be good to get the project back on track - I've let it go cold this year...

Drop me a pm or an email (use robert dot bell at doctors dot org dot uk)

Topless
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: MGF 1995

Post by Topless » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:08 pm

As I have some rust in rear panels and sills of my 95 F I could be interested in those.
Des "Topless"
"Nil illegitimi carborundum "

Jaffacakekilla

Post by Jaffacakekilla » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi all , sorry not been on for a bit.

I will get in touch with Deltaparts, the guy that was going to make the bits and see how things are.

I think mhe was waiting to see what interest there was.