Stepspeed problems

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
croxalldog
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: stepspeed

Stepspeed problems

Post by croxalldog » Mon May 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Two faults that I would welcome advice on. I don't know if they are related. Firstly, at low revs the car does not appear to recognise the accelerate command. What appears to be happening is that the box is doing what it should and changing the ratio while cruising but when I hit the gas it stays in the higher gear, rattles everything and slowly gains speed. If I accelerate hard the car responds better. Put it into sport and its a little better. It appears to be a revs issue as if I use the paddles and select the correct gears all is ok. Once above 40 there is no problem. I've changed the oil and used the correct grade. Could this be the differential speed detector or the throttle sensor playing up? No faults are logged on the dash. The issue is loading the engine ad causing a misfire.
The second problem is that my OBD checks the non continuous monitors 1 of these is showing fail but its a manufacturer defined monitor so has no description the code is MID $06 component id $46. It reads Value 1667 min 0 max 462 result failed. Anybody know what this is?

Help please as this is looking like another summer when I have not been able to use the car.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Stepspeed problems

Post by talkingcars » Mon May 28, 2018 10:48 pm

What age is your car?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Tue May 29, 2018 10:39 am

2004 in his earlier earlier posting.
I had an erratic Steptronic The only difference being that The BMW Trademark did not go with the sale.
Knowing the probable cause, I first checked the electrics, cleaned the connectors and changed the cheaper sensors. Still no success so back to fitting an expensive OEM catalytic converter. Now it runs like new.
Do you know anybody with a cat bypass pipe on the shelf that you could borrow ?? It needs to be a Mk2 F or TF as the Mk1 is different.
Geoff.F

croxalldog

Post by croxalldog » Tue May 29, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks I'll ask around but its unlikely . It is the original CAT and the emissions appear to show that it is working. Are you suggesting that the CAT may be partially collapsed and reducing flow at low revs? If so I could source a second had cat and give it a go.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Tue May 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Lots of problems are electrical on the CVT boxes, with the main connector to the box (C0243 in the attached pdf, a round turn-lock type) being the main culprit. Also check the plugs around the gear stick area as shown on page 2 of the pdf.

Seeing you are in the Midlands I guess Burton-on-Trent isn’t too far from you. Nick at Austin Garages is a good port of call for Stepspeed issues, you might want to give him a call: http://www.austingarages.co.uk.
CVT connectors.pdf
(137.88 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

croxalldog

Post by croxalldog » Tue May 29, 2018 4:19 pm

Mykel. Thanks for this I've searching everywhere for a photo showing the location of the plug. I'll jack the car up tonight and have a look. I'm only 7 miles from Nick but he is normally so busy it can take a long time before he can fit you in.

Have you any info on the manufacturer defined monitors? My OBD shows number of them but $06 id $46 has failed.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue May 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Geoff.F wrote:2004 in his earlier earlier posting.
Useful info at the start of every thread?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

croxalldog

Post by croxalldog » Tue May 29, 2018 11:30 pm

Crawled under the car tonight socket solid and in good condition. I'm wondering if the hall affect transducer is breaking down as this helps control the ratio.

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Wed May 30, 2018 10:09 am

The condition of the outside may be deceiving - You need to check that moisture hasn't collected within that socket and its terminals and is causing corrosion and hence problems.

croxalldog

Post by croxalldog » Wed May 30, 2018 10:20 am

O.K I'll get it up on the ramps as I can't get far enough under the car using my trolley jack.

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Wed May 30, 2018 8:35 pm

NEVER GET UNDER A CAR ON A JACK! :o
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

ashcapri28
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by ashcapri28 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:28 pm

That's correct safety first!!!!
axle stands.

croxalldog

Post by croxalldog » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:48 pm

I used the jack to put it on the stands. Anyway its died, pulling out of a juction I lost all drive in all gears accompanied by a nasty noise. Ringing around I cannot locate a drive plate, apparently they are out of production and nobody appears to be in any hurry to make any. Looks like it is scrap, shame because the body is rust free. I could try and convert it to a manual but would rather retain the auto. I understand that the 1.4 Ford Zetec has the same drive plate but I cannot locate any of those either.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:39 pm

I believe that the same gearbox was fitted in the BMW MINI as they were a supply for CVT fluid. Worth a try.
Geoff.F

croxalldog

Post by croxalldog » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks Geof I'll have search. I've found a second hand one but apart from giving it a shake to test for rattles I don't no how to check it.
Ian

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm

If you've lost drive I suspect it may be more than just the drive plate. I'm thinking drive belt... :(

croxalldog

Post by croxalldog » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:28 pm

The symptoms were that the car appeared to be losing traction just like wheel spin. Hope I can explain when I changed gear in drive mode it appeared to judder then the revs picked up and all was will until I dropped speed and applied the load again. I'm happy work on the box when its out. But I've not got the expertise or equipment to get it out.

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Sounds like the belt has disintegrated indeed. The auto box sadly can’t be taken out of the car with the subframe in place, that’s a major job, but worth it if you can get hold of a good replacement box. Try Martin Smith if he has one, as his parts are well checked before he sells them.
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

croxalldog

Post by croxalldog » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:26 am

Hi I've sourced a box. Fingers crossed its o.k. I going to ask for the old one back to take apart just for interest. If it don't look too bad I will look at refurbing it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

croxalldog

Post by croxalldog » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Box is in running ok only the occaissional rattle from the drive plate. The old one was well past its best as the photo shows. I never had the old box back i was assured that the broken belt would have damaged the box beyond repair. Three of the small springs were in a similar state the large ones were ok.
spring.jpg
. Even worse the exhaust fell apart and needed replacing. :rant: